starting strength gym

Thread: Is my calorie intake abnormal?

Default Is my calorie intake abnormal?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, will try to keep it short. I am 21 years old 183cm tall and this is me at 103kg Imgur: The magic of the Internet (was 98 but took creatine and bloated) and sadly I consider myself fat, granted, this is not the best lighting and angle but still, you can see it needs to be reduced. Strength wise my big 3 total is at 470kg (S:150 B:120 D:200). Reason I am creating this is because I am trying to figure out whether my intake is abnormal or not. I train x4 a week only weights and I eat 2300 calories for fat loss, this way I am losing about 2-2.5kg a month. These calories are with an average step count of 2000 steps a day and every time I walk as an exercise I eat the calories burned (for 5kms it says 350kcal). You can see I am not really moving a lot apart from resistance training but still feel like my food intake is low. I don't want it to drop it lower, my macro ratio is ideally 45C, 35P, 20F. I plan on losing until 95kg while on creatine using this deficit and then eating at 2800 for 2-3 weeks then go back to 2300 for the rest of weight loss.

a)Is my intake too low?
    b)if yes, is it normal regarding my needs or should I consult a doctor?
    c)will eating at maintenance for 3 weeks after I reach 95kg enough for me to keep dropping?
    d)when my intermediate programming stops proggressing, what to do?

A) Not necessarily no. Are you still making your lifts?
    B) No need to consult a doctor
    C) You may or may not keep dropping it depends on how much food you add out the gate
    D) You spread out the recovery cycle. If one week is too short, then two weeks for your next PR attempt, then 3, then 4. However, you are training underfed so you aren't advancing and therefore you intermediate status may not be as far along as it seems.

It sounds like you need to stop worrying about the numbers and concentrate on the effects. You appear to be making your lifts and your loosing 2 to 2.5kg a month, then isn't this what you want? As a training mathematician, its hard for me to accept that our bodies don't react exactly like machines. Put in 5 gallons of gas, get x number of miles down the road. Calorie intake and consumption is an art form, not a science, hahaha.

Not body can tell you exactly how many calories you are eating let alone exactly how many you need. If you really listen to Santana's podcasts and suggestions it's a matter of add a little, substract a little, till you to the effect that you want. You seem to be set up great, making big lifts and losing kgs a month!