starting strength gym

Thread: To cut now or cut later?

Default To cut now or cut later?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, your thoughts would much appreciated on my dilemma.

I am 45yo, 5feet8, and weigh 93kg (204lbs).
    I’m guessing I’m a fluffy 25-30% BF.
    My actual 1RMs (sbd) are 165kg, 120kg and 180kg.
    I haven’t really been doing OHP but can press 75kg for a solid single (yes I know, YNDTP!!)

I commenced SS in Sept 2019 and ran it till Jan 2020.
    Made v good progress in that time, 5s went from 90kg squat to 130squat. Then felt burned out.
    Have used a range of more early intermediate approaches since, mixed results.

My bodyweight has gone from around 168-204lbs over this past 15months. I look good - in clothes!! But I want to be leaner in the long term.

More importantly, also want to compete in local masters Powerlifting meets.
    I’m thinking I’m really an 83kg division participant.
    I don’t want to enter meets and be last.
    My medium-term goals (sbd) are 200kg, 145kg and 240kg. That’d be very respectable on the local scene.

I cut a little for 2months in Oct-Dec 2020. I lost 12lbs but made zero strength progress. That was on 2000-2500cals per day. Once I came off it and ate 3500-4000cals again my bench instantly increased by 5kg-10kg on 5s. I feel much better.

Anyway, my preference is to eat big, get as strong as I can and do a “big cut” to prepare for competition whilst maintaining my strength as best I can. With lockdowns and no holidays I won’t be on a beach or displaying my love handles except to my wife, who doesn’t care!!

However, I was wondering if a cycling cut-bulk system is better for me?

I can see me getting to close to 100kg in bodyweight before I can squat 200kg. Dropping 17kgs might be tough?

Having never done this before would be really keen to hear your thoughts.

I think that you should not cut into a meet and you should train at the top end of your weight range, cut sodium the week before, and that should be sufficient. I don't think that you need to weigh 100 kg to squat 200 kg but 85-90 kg is probably a good place to train for that. Without knowing more about how you've programmed yourself, your technique, and your macro intake it is impossible to say what is going on though.

That’s super helpful Robert and sensible! Thanks!

You are welcome.