starting strength gym

Thread: Programming when you can only get 6 hours sleep on average

Default Programming when you can only get 6 hours sleep on average

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi folks

Due to kids and work I end up only getting 6 hours on average.

Been working on my sleep hygiene but it’s tough e.g. last night one kid developed temperature, then the other woke up early for breakfast, then body clock won’t let fall asleep again etc.

Trying to get naps but work does not help. But obviously will continue fitting one in where possible.

Anyway, I suppose this will be true for a lot of people and apologies as I’m sure this must have been covered in previous posts, but my specific question is about programming.

Obviously recovery is impeded so is there a rule of thumb to give it an extra day before your next workout? Sometimes two days, ‘listening’ to the body for when it feels refreshed.

I’m 40 years old by the way, always been very active with sports.

Oddly, on days after workouts I feel quite energised and try to do another workout (different body parts or a bit of accessory, just to keep blood flowing) for active recovery, but I hope that’s not counterproductive.

Thanks

Are you missing reps? My suggestion is try and lift what you can under the shitty circumstances and undulate the loads accordingly. Your program may just not be optimal but you should still try to work towards something, which it sounds like you are.

Thanks Robert.
    I kept progressing on squat and deadlift but lost performance on the bench, OHP and chin-ups

LPing back up on the minor lifts (about 90%) but taking a break from the big lifts due to a pain in the hip and legs: thread here.
    Sciatica?

Have you hired Will yet?

What do you mean? As a coach?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes. You have to deal with that pain to make meaningful progress.