starting strength gym

Thread: Nervous to gain weight

Default Nervous to gain weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 35, 240lbs at 5'11''. Squat=325 Press=155 Deadlift=415 Bench=215, for fives. The way I found SS was first reading about Texas Method. Not understanding the advanced nature of this programming, I screwed around for about a year. Then read about SS and still...continued on with Texas Method BUT tried using SS technique and form. About six months later I realized my form was shit and invited a SS coach over for a private session, which helped. I then finally did the responsible thing and read the damn books. I am closing in on two years of squatting and wasting time with Texas Method, then redoing my technique and using the SS method, dropping my weights and using 5X3 repsXsets for all my lifts except Deadlifts. This was my attempt to circumvent my screw up and jump into NLP. Should I reset all my damn lifts and start at the beginning of the NLP to get better results?

Background: When I was 25 years old I weighed 450 lbs, I got bypass surgery and lost 225lbs of it. The lightest I got was 220 lbs, that was done basically by starving myself and running way too much. I screwed my hips, knees, and ankles up from that. Then my weight began to creep up and when I started seeing 250lbs on the board, I started Keto and lost 30lbs.

Getting to my question! I am very nervous to add carbs back into my daily routine for training/recovery purposes. I can tell immediately when I gain five pounds, and I do not like it. I worked SO hard to get down to this weight and I know, getting stronger means gaining weight, but how much? Will the high protein and 200/300 g carbs a day still allow me to keep lean without adding fat, even burning some of my extra? I work at a job where I wear a uniform and it's not easy...or cheap to get a new one. Staying this body shape, or even getting thinner, is really my only option to feel happy where I am. Is that possible with the SS model, or is the only option to continue NLP and reach my max strength through getting bigger, bigger and bigger? Because if gaining weight is what I need to do, that's crazy easy for me to do, but will I get fat or lean? I know this is long winded, I've been trying to read, read and read about my issue, I figured I'd just ask.

Why the BUT? You are supposed to use our techniques. Yes you can eat a high carb diet, train, gain muscle and not balloon back up to 450 lb.

Thank you for the response. The 'BUT' was to recognize how I finally put to use the SS technique, which is the best way to do things!
    I am not worried about going back up to 450lbs, but I do feel at 5'10'' I am overweight at 250 (which is where I am now). I have read your article about the overweight trainee. Quick question: I am eating vegetables and fruit as my carbs, along with beans. Vegetables being starchy carbs and fruit being simple carbs (banana, orange), when do I eat both? I eat the bulk of my carbs before and after my training, but on off days?

There are starchy and non starchy vegetables. Which starchy vegetables are you referring to? You should eat the bulk around training and spread the rest out evenly throughout the day. I'd say ~40% around training.

The starchy carbs are sweet potatoes, peas, corn and the fruit I'll eat at night are bananas, oranges and non vegetables are rice and oats.

starting strength coach development program
    Typically starches earlier in the day, fats later in the day.