starting strength gym

Thread: How can my 43 year old 6'1.5" fat Texan ass (255lbs) train and cut at the same time?

Question How can my 43 year old 6'1.5" fat Texan ass (255lbs) train and cut at the same time?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 43 year old man. 6 feet, 1.5 inches tall. 255 lbs. Hadn't touched a barbell since 2013 until last month when I bought the equipment for needed for the 4 main lifts:

- OHP 130lb 1 rep max
    - Bench 260 1 rep max
    - Squat 175 1 rep max
    - Deadlift 175 1 rep max

I haven't really pushed myself on a real max for Deadlift and Squat, and am realizing that I need to do that now that I have more confidence in being able to do those lifts. I started Wendler 5/3/1 last month but have since discovered the error of my ways and am now waiting on the bluebook before fully switching to Starting Strength NLP training.

My question: Santana and Rip have completely changed the way I view my weight just from the pods, articles, and this forum. I'm fat. I want to be strong, but I don't want to be fat. I'd like to be around 235 while I build strength through NLP. I believe its possible for me to cut and train at the same time based on your pods with Rip. But I'm struggling to identify ballpark calories and macros. Here's what I'm thinking: 2,750 total daily calories (225 grams protein, 140 grams fat, 400 grams carbs). Do those targets make sense?

Your squat and deadlift are not both 175 lb. Your deadlift is likely 225-245 and you should be jumping it quickly. Stop that nonsense. The macros are a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Your squat and deadlift are not both 175 lb. Your deadlift is likely 225-245 and you should be jumping it quickly. Stop that nonsense. The macros are a good start.
    Yeah I’ll stop being a bitch and push it on the DL and Squat. Thank you for the confirmation on the macros. Greatly appreciate the info you’ve shared through SS. It’s been game changing for me to hear you to talk weight and nutrition. Like a de-programming of 43 years of BS from “experts” and diet programs.

This bitch gonna listen and start gettin serious bout deadlift and squat. You rock. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikgc View Post
    Yeah I’ll stop being a bitch and push it on the DL and Squat. Thank you for the confirmation on the macros. Greatly appreciate the info you’ve shared through SS. It’s been game changing for me to hear you to talk weight and nutrition. Like a de-programming of 43 years of BS from “experts” and diet programs.
    We have all been there. But yes, do not sandbag your deadlift. It should be 50-100 ahead of your squat at this stage.