starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition questions and background

Default Nutrition questions and background

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some nutrition advice (I posted this in the Mark Rippetoe Q&A forum and he accused me of being a troll, which I promise I am not). I am a 27 year old 6 foot tall male and I currently weigh 135. You can probably guess by this description alone that I am severely underweight AND, you guessed it, quite weak for my size. To put it in context my 5 rep max on my back squat is 135. I can deadlift 245 for 5 reps and I can bench 145 for 5 reps and I have been training consistently for 7 years though I admit some of that time was spent doing dumb Crossfit exercise but I always had a strength component. I currently eat about 3200 calories per day (I have been tracking diligently for years), and when I increase my calories I notice that I just move more to compensate for the additional energy. I eat about 400 grams of carbs per day, 300 grams of protein, and maybe 30 (ish) calories of fat. I'm not sure where to go with my calories. I want to get stronger, despite having hardgainer genetics, and I am open to any and all suggestions.

~Grant

You are underweight and weak and you have not been training you have been exercising for the last 7 years. Now you are training and you need to eat more. There is absolutely no reason to eat 30 grams of fat and you can probably get away with dropping that protein to 225-250 g/d. Eat 100 grams of fat and 450 grams of carb with 250 grams of protein and see how that breakdown feels. Fat gain should be the least of your concern right now.

Thank you for the feedback and not accusing me of being a troll. I will give this a shot. I cannot lie that aesthetics has been a major focus of mine and that has held me back from achieving strength goals. I listened to the three episodes you did on Starting Strength Radio and really enjoyed the content. Thank you again for your reply!

You are welcome

Default Weight Gain

Quote Originally Posted by grant_edwards View Post
    Hey there,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some nutrition advice (I posted this in the Mark Rippetoe Q&A forum and he accused me of being a troll, which I promise I am not). I am a 27 year old 6 foot tall male and I currently weigh 135. You can probably guess by this description alone that I am severely underweight AND, you guessed it, quite weak for my size. To put it in context my 5 rep max on my back squat is 135. I can deadlift 245 for 5 reps and I can bench 145 for 5 reps and I have been training consistently for 7 years though I admit some of that time was spent doing dumb Crossfit exercise but I always had a strength component. I currently eat about 3200 calories per day (I have been tracking diligently for years), and when I increase my calories I notice that I just move more to compensate for the additional energy. I eat about 400 grams of carbs per day, 300 grams of protein, and maybe 30 (ish) calories of fat. I'm not sure where to go with my calories. I want to get stronger, despite having hardgainer genetics, and I am open to any and all suggestions.

~Grant
    Grant,

I am 28 and 6' myself, I was 160 before I found SS and this morning weighed in at 205. I'd still like to gain another 20 lbs. I would encourage you to get in contact with a starting strength coach if you are serious about your training. Its a great investment in yourself and if you know you are going to report to your coach next week it makes you more motivated in the kitchen.

If you work hard by this summer none of your pants will fit. Its a cool experience.

Ben