starting strength gym

Thread: Untrained recomposition

Default Untrained recomposition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

My understanding is that the following is true:

1) Novices or more specifically untrained individuals can loss fat and gain muscle at the same time.
    2) Once trained you can either cut or bulk but it is literally impossible to do both and when you do, fat and muscle will always be lost or gained together (albeit with different percentages).

So, to that, my questions are:

1) Are those true statements?
    2) If they are, metabolically or whatever phrase you want to use, how is that possible? I'm really hoping to understand what changes after you are trained that signals the body that recomp is no longer an option.

Thanks.

They are true statements. How is what possible? There is no meaningful way to measure that. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the magnitude of stress reaches a point where resources are competed for at a greater extent. If you are looking for an explanation on the molecular level it is doubtful that we will ever get one, even from scientific journalists because no one will ever fund a study to look at that. Getting jacked guys more jacked is not a public health concern even if it is for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Getting jacked guys more jacked is not a public health concern even if it is for us.
    But it should be!

You won't get disagreement here.

I know this is an old post but it's something I'm wondering now.
    I've been training for a couple of years now after a long break. I'm 41, 5"7', 174 lbs. When I started the nlp I was 135 and while doing the texas method, about 180.
    For the last 9 months , doing a 4 day split over7-9 days(7 at first, currently over 9 days) my weight has been about the same, 175 or so, but I noticed I've made great gains overall and especially in my legs, back and traps. If that means I'm gaining muscle mass but the weight stays the same, am I losing bodyfat?