starting strength gym

Thread: Time to Change

Default Time to Change

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I curious if anyone has any input on this.

We know that weight gain and loss is a function of (calories - body functions - minus activity) = gain or loss. That is easy to explain on the long term level, say 6 months. If I'm at a 1000 calorie deficit per day then in a month I will have definitely lost weight.

No on a micro scale, if I'm averaging 3,000 calories a day to hold my weight the same, and then eat 8,000 calories one day. I'm not going to see an instant increase in my weight and likely not to see any at all. The same as not eating for a whole day doesn't really cause a weight loss.

How long does the body need to see surplus or shortage to make a change in mass?

Secondary question is does this time frame change when adding muscle vs fat?

Any thoughts?

Nobody can possibly answer this accurately. A week is a safe estimate. Definitely not a day and this time frame is unlikely to change by adding muscle. Lean mass will allow you to burn more calories but we aren't talking about doubling your metabolic rate here.

"Nobody can possibly answer this accurately. "

hahaha, just like no one can accurately project calorie needs. This is one of the basic tenants I've learned along the way. We have to find out for our selves.

Thanks for you guidance. One of the things I'm realizing here is that we are training the body, but we are also training the behavior.

Excellent observation