starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Soruce Suggestions

Default Protein Soruce Suggestions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Friends,

So far so good I've decided to NDTP and go on a cut.

Quick Rundown:
    Stats 5'2 (This is not a typo), 203
    Squat 415x5
    Bench. 290x5
    Deadlift 435x5
    Press 190x5

I went from 211 to 203lbs I still feel like I'm still progressing fine right now.

Calories/Day: 2350, 2550 on days I train
    Protein 237g
    Fat 53g
    Carbs 237+50 carbs on training days
    In reality its more like 150-250g protein, 250-300g carbs, 50-80g fat.

I'm having trouble getting my protein in and keeping my fat down. I regularly eat a pound of tilapia in one meal and am eating anywhere from 5-7 pounds a week. I really don't do well on protein shakes.

Does anyone have any tips on getting protein sources so I'm not just eating tilapia shrimp eggs?

Well you did pretty good other than your deadlift but fat loss may take care of that. Where is your fat coming from? Have you tried extra lean ground beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Well you did pretty good other than your deadlift but fat loss may take care of that. Where is your fat coming from? Have you tried extra lean ground beef?
    Yeah the bottom position is a little awkward. Good eye, if I was indeed only eating fish it would be hard to get my fat in. I've done that and it was hard to get my fats in. I'll throw in a steak, eggs, hamburger patties. It just seems like every time it's impossible to eat anything without my fat skyrocketing.

Thanks for the tip I had no idea extra lean ground beef existed. I can deal with that. I just looked at mine and it was 85/15.

I think the obvious one is chicken breast (or turkey breast, if you don't like your food having flavor). Boneless/skinless is something like 8 g protein for 1 g fat.

Just for fun, a less common idea: beef heart is about 6 g protein per 1 g fat. I've mostly seen it grilled or stewed. If you're in a place where people don't ever go for it (i.e., nowhere with a fancy farmer's market), a butcher might sell it at scrap prices.

Beef heart is pretty cheap, I've bought it for my dog. Very chewy hence the high protein/low fat composition.

With a good marinate and grilled, very good stuff. See Peruvian anticuchos. Love that stuff.

Have you ever slow cooked it? I'd imagine that would be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamat95121 View Post
    Yeah the bottom position is a little awkward. Good eye, if I was indeed only eating fish it would be hard to get my fat in. I've done that and it was hard to get my fats in. I'll throw in a steak, eggs, hamburger patties. It just seems like every time it's impossible to eat anything without my fat skyrocketing.

Thanks for the tip I had no idea extra lean ground beef existed. I can deal with that. I just looked at mine and it was 85/15.
    You are welcome. 96/4 is expensive but it tastes good and easy to comply with if you are a beef eater.

The only caution I'd give about extra lean ground beef is that it doesn't work well for some recipes that you may have been using. E.g., burgers need that fat content to come out juicy. That's not to steer you away from it - you just may need to adjust things a bit.

starting strength coach development program
    We have 93/7 ground turkey which I like. I believe there is also a 97/3 version but don't quote me on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast