starting strength gym

Thread: Forced layoff...go for a cut?

Default Forced layoff...go for a cut?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach,

My wife is having twins this May, which is going to affect my ability to sleep and recover.

I also farm, and this is the same time as my spring busy season.

My question is, due to the circumstances, I will most likely not be able to train effectively during this time.

I am trying to develop a plan for that time and was wondering if it would be a good time to try and go for a cut?

Current Stats:
    Height: 6’3
    Weight: 265
    Waist: 44”

Squat: 345x5
    DL: 425x5
    Bench: 245x5
    Press: 207.5x1x6
    *currently doing a four day split

Macros:
    P-205-250
    C- 345-400
    F-65-75

One note: I have adjusted my macros to try and get my waist to 40 inches, has not moved in four weeks, nor my body weight.

I have a couple months to keep lifting heavy, but trying to plan ahead. The hope is to be back to training heavy after 8-12 weeks.

Is it better to just lay-off completely (like I do during harvest) or some sort of short term lighter weight program?

Thanks Robert!

You will need to take the macros lower, likely the carbohydrates, to get more fat off. Not uncommon to see numbers sub 300 for fat loss. Can you hit the gym twice per week during harvest?

Thanks Coach,

I’ll eat less. Should I be eating then more “normal” amounts of calories then, around 2500-2700?

Harvest is tough. I leave the field at 8:30-9 pm and go back at 5:30-6 am. The gym is not on the way to anywhere I need to go and it doesn’t open until 5 am.

I tried training supersets at the beginning of harvest last year, but it felt like a bit too much with such a rigorous work day.

I ended up doing a full layoff for about 6 weeks, then, when I came back, dropped the weight and did a two week mini NLP with 10 lb jumps until I was back at my training weight before harvest. That was my plan again for harvest this year.

I am in the process of welding up a power rack for my farm shop. If it’s done by harvest, I may have the time to lift, just not sure I’ll have the time to recover.

The farm gym won’t be ready for this spring, so I will still need to use my current gym during planting and twins being born.

I guess another question I have: If I can’t get good recovery/sleep for multiple weeks on end is there a difference in training volume or intensity that needs to happen to accommodate it? Do I just keep grinding away and expect more reps to fail?

Thank you,

Well you will be on your feet all night I'd imagine so you probably still need ~3K. Are you going to get any lifting days at all in then during this time? Glad you got the ball rolling on your home gym. That will serve you well in the long haul.

I am hoping that I can carve out the time. It’s hard to know at this point because there are a lot of unknowns.

In theory, I am hoping to get 30-45 minutes of actual time in the rack.This would give me the time between feedings and drive time to the gym.

It’s hard to do supersets at the gym with a lack of rack and bar availability (it’s a YMCA, so lots of machines and dumbbells, two power racks that are in constant use)

I can get one rack for myself, but there is no way to get the second one or another bar.

starting strength coach development program
    You'll have to do the squat on it's own and then superset the bench press and deadlift