Fat Loss Help Fat Loss Help - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fat Loss Help

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    I'd be cautious about trusting one of those bioelectric impedence devices for a measure of bodyfat percentage. I got one done recently and it was definitely off the mark. Your weight's on the high side for your height, but you're probably not 37.5%. You can rely on that thing for your weight, but not the bodyfat percentage.

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongDentist View Post
    Honestly, counting calories stops working after a point. I’ve lost 70 lbs, and now the only way for me to lose weight is to stop eating for a few days. I have spend months at a big deficit without seeing the numbers on the scale change. My plan is to just fast until I lose all the weight, and then bulk on two meals a day, low carb, just meat and vegetables to be safe. This all means I’m much weaker than I could/should be, but weight loss is my main priority.
    Sounds like you just ran into the wall. I've seen it written about in many places, and experienced it myself. It's like the metabolic rate drops even further over time than the weight loss would indicate. It's accompanied by changes that I've had show up in blood work. TSH levels rise, testosterone levels fall, and other things. I've actually read a few things that recommend "diet breaks" to restore a maintenance state at the new lowered weight before cutting further. Any thoughts on this Rob? You're the expert on this stuff here, having actually journeyed into the lands of the super-shredded.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3

    Default

    If I had to guess, I would likely say that you're inadvertently miscalculating or under-reporting mean caloric intake. The problem with some tracking apps (myfitnesspal in particular) is that it relies largely on user-submitted data which can be prone to error. I've encountered some items that have been "off" by upwards to 500kcal just based on macros and calories not matching up, incomplete or inaccurate data.

    I would suggest starting with something like cronometer (draws info predominantly from gov databases and has a better degree of accuracy) just to help you better navigate tracking. Macros can be tedious, but it would offer a consistent approach. Try and keep it simple, aim for higher protein in fat loss phases (200-300g generally as a minimum), maintain fat around 45-75g and fill the remainder with carbs. For the most part, protein and fat can remain within the same ranges, and carbs can be adjusted based on training demands (higher leading into heavier sessions, lower end for less activity etc)

    I'll also mention, that in tracking only protein it can become very easy to over-consume hidden fats (fats used in processing, cooking, etc) and under estimate your calorie intake. Again, a macros approach can be tedious, but can help to make sure you're eliminating any possible discrepancies and once you develop more consistency you can easily return to a more intuitive eating approach. An added benefit of Cronometer too, in my experience, is far more accurate micronutrient data as well - aim for adequacy in all areas as any long-term inadequate intakes or deficiencies can lead to issues when dieting down.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Are your lifts stalled because of poor technique? I had the same happen on some occasions and your body weight indicates that you have room to push the lifts further before going up in body weight. Post some form checks on the technique sub forum.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post

    I'll also mention, that in tracking only protein it can become very easy to over-consume hidden fats (fats used in processing, cooking, etc).
    A fine detail that many seem to miss. At some point in the last two decades many people were convinced that protein by itself could never accumulate calories.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongDentist View Post
    I have spend months at a big deficit without seeing the numbers on the scale change.
    Your screen name implies you are a doctor and therefore a man of science. If your really believe this to be true, then write it up for publishing and I guarantee you a nobel prize if you are correct. What you are saying is that you have found a way to violate the first law of thermodynamics, and if you are correct then you have revolutionized physics and energy systems as known to man.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Your screen name implies you are a doctor and therefore a man of science. If your really believe this to be true, then write it up for publishing and I guarantee you a nobel prize if you are correct. What you are saying is that you have found a way to violate the first law of thermodynamics, and if you are correct then you have revolutionized physics and energy systems as known to man.
    What he is saying is that he assigned himself some numbers to hit for months, hit them 75% of the time each week, and indulged the other 25% of the time then claimed he was hitting those numbers 100% of the time. Standard diet coaching client.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What he is saying is that he assigned himself some numbers to hit for months, hit them 75% of the time each week, and indulged the other 25% of the time then claimed he was hitting those numbers 100% of the time. Standard diet coaching client.
    It happens every week on My 600-pound Life.

    “I worked really hard! I barely eat now.”

    “Barely eat? You lost five pounds in three months.”

    “...”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •