• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background:
    60 yr old male
    6 ft
    212 lbs
    Fat 29% Navy Circumference Method
    1 month into NLP
    Still adding 10lbs per workout to squat and deadlift, and 5lbs to bench and press. (Squat had a deload for bad form, deadlift held at 140 three sessions as I ordered more weights.)
    In this month I’ve gained 3lbs while my belly circumference has held steady at 42inch. I can tell that I’m loosing some fat elsewhere and gaining muscle “tone” or mass in my legs and hips. That is to say I think I’m running a caloric deficit and burning a little fat.

My current diet is about 200g/d protein, achieved with a 1/2 gal 1% milk, yogurt, several eggs, chicken, hamburgers, steak, salmon. And honestly letting carbs and calories fall where they may.

My caloric plan is to “ignore” my weight and just be sure to eat enough to keep my belly around 40 to 42 inches. Increasing food as needed.

I work and workout at home. I plan my workout time, but work and life disruptions cause me to adjust the actual time. Luckily instead of missing the day, I can do squats between meetings, later do my presses, and later my deadlifts. But this means workouts sometimes before, or after a meal.

Sometimes during my warmup or work sets for squats or deadlifts, I feel like I should grab a snack. So I grab a glass of milk and a protein bar. This only happens on the full body lifts, not press or bench.
    I still have muscle power, it just feels like I’m gunna need a snack soon and I don’t want that to hit me mid set.

Question:
    I’m thinking I need more carbs to burn on workout days so I plan to:
    Eat a big bowl of rice in the evening before a workout day
    Drink 1/2 gal of whole milk the day before a workout.
    On the workout day, maybe 30 min before the workout, drink a big glass of orange juice.

And see how that does.

Any thoughts, advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milk around workout times is not the best option. Rice, cereal, other grains, or even a sports drink or dextrose powder would work better. Start counting your carbohydrates and see where you are ending up. I'd say 200 g/d is a minimum for a guy your age, 250 g/d is better. How much are you lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Background:
    60 yr old male
    6 ft
    212 lbs
    Fat 29% Navy Circumference Method
    1 month into NLP
    Still adding 10lbs per workout to squat and deadlift, and 5lbs to bench and press. (Squat had a deload for bad form, deadlift held at 140 three sessions as I ordered more weights.)
    In this month I’ve gained 3lbs while my belly circumference has held steady at 42inch. I can tell that I’m loosing some fat elsewhere and gaining muscle “tone” or mass in my legs and hips. That is to say I think I’m running a caloric deficit and burning a little fat.

My current diet is about 200g/d protein, achieved with a 1/2 gal 1% milk, yogurt, several eggs, chicken, hamburgers, steak, salmon. And honestly letting carbs and calories fall where they may.

My caloric plan is to “ignore” my weight and just be sure to eat enough to keep my belly around 40 to 42 inches. Increasing food as needed.

I work and workout at home. I plan my workout time, but work and life disruptions cause me to adjust the actual time. Luckily instead of missing the day, I can do squats between meetings, later do my presses, and later my deadlifts. But this means workouts sometimes before, or after a meal.

Sometimes during my warmup or work sets for squats or deadlifts, I feel like I should grab a snack. So I grab a glass of milk and a protein bar. This only happens on the full body lifts, not press or bench.
    I still have muscle power, it just feels like I’m gunna need a snack soon and I don’t want that to hit me mid set.

Question:
    I’m thinking I need more carbs to burn on workout days so I plan to:
    Eat a big bowl of rice in the evening before a workout day
    Drink 1/2 gal of whole milk the day before a workout.
    On the workout day, maybe 30 min before the workout, drink a big glass of orange juice.

And see how that does.

Any thoughts, advice?

I have found eating a banana 45 mins before a workout gives me the energy required.

Current lifts are
    Squat 145
    Press 80
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 210

Sunday and today, a glass of orange juice just before seemed to do the trick.

I’ll track my carbs as you suggest.
    Dumb question, do folks really weigh their food portions, just eyeball?
    Is there a good app?

Better choice. Stay at your current macros until that squat starts to slow down. You'll need more in good time. Also, good job not babying the deadlift, it sounds like you got the memo.

Yes you should really weigh your food portions when you first start out. Much like training wheels on a bike. As you get better at identifying them through visual inspection you won't need it anymore. It should not be a permanent solution, only an introductory one.

Thank you. Will do

Just to add.... For the first 6ish months of my training, I did it fasted. It's what I did for my AM runs, my whole life.

As the weight increased, I'm now having 1/2 banana, 1/2 fage 0% Greek yogurt, and a 200mg caffeine tab.

IN workout, will have a body armor

How much were you lifting at the time?

Just a quick follow up. Last night I ate a bowl of rice with two eggs before bed. (A favorite snack of mine). This morning I had a chance between meetings to do my squats before breakfast (bad habit I bet).
    I was able to do my warmup, 3 sets of 5 with 10lbs added.
    Zero issue with “fuel”.

After breakfast, between more meetings, I did my bench, after lunch my cleans, before dinner my pull-ups. Sometimes this is my day.

I had read a post of Coach Santana’s about a baked potato before bed.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't recall the post but it sounds like something I'd recommend under the right circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast