starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on handheld body fat analyzers?

Default Thoughts on handheld body fat analyzers?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I ran into one of these today at an "introductory session" at the LA Fitness I signed up for. I had no idea these things existed. Any thoughts on these things and their accuracy? Gave me a way higher bodyfat estimate than I ever would've expected, especially going off past data obtained with three-site caliper testing.

What about this session are you referring to? The handheld fat percentage assessment tools are mostly bs but useful for trending.

Just having some lady who worked at the gym have me hold the thing and tell me I was at 30% bodyfat. I'd used three site measurements with calipers before largely to track trends, but I also ran the percentage calculations each time. Last time I was around this bodyweight I got something in the vicinity of 20% I think. I'm pretty sure I've gained lean mass since then, since my lifts have only gone up. I had read an article where you went into bodyfat measurement techniques and gave a rundown on their utility, but I didn't recall mention of these handheld things. I was just curious if you had any thoughts on their accuracy. 30% struck me as a percentage to worry about, especially after just having lost to the tune of 40 pounds over the last 3 months. But I've been reading about these on my own too, and they do seem pretty unreliable. Even the fine-tuned laboratory ones supposedly have accuracy issues, and I'm sure the consumer versions like this are only worse.

The gold standard is autopsy. Outside of that they all have assumptions and are probably more accurate for some people than others. I'm good on having an autopsy done though.

I have three years of data including measurement of body fat with a hand held device. I can categorially say a pair of dice would be more accurate! I have weighted as high as 212 on the list and as low as 188. The BF reading from the handheld device is completely junk! I chopped off 20 pound while still lifting heavy with taking two inch's off my waist, and the net effect says I gained body fat. So I put zero trust in the device.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Just having some lady who worked at the gym have me hold the thing and tell me I was at 30% bodyfat. I'd used three site measurements with calipers before largely to track trends, but I also ran the percentage calculations each time. Last time I was around this bodyweight I got something in the vicinity of 20% I think. I'm pretty sure I've gained lean mass since then, since my lifts have only gone up. I had read an article where you went into bodyfat measurement techniques and gave a rundown on their utility, but I didn't recall mention of these handheld things. I was just curious if you had any thoughts on their accuracy. 30% struck me as a percentage to worry about, especially after just having lost to the tune of 40 pounds over the last 3 months. But I've been reading about these on my own too, and they do seem pretty unreliable. Even the fine-tuned laboratory ones supposedly have accuracy issues, and I'm sure the consumer versions like this are only worse.
    I was under the impression that fat measurements were supposed to be taken first thing in the morning. Not directly after training, which usually causes drinking water and inflating the tissue being measured.

As mentioned, the readings vary greatly, depending on when, where and how the measurement was taken. They are very good at establishing trends, but visual assessments (IME) have been much more accurate in assessing actual percentage, unless of course you're carrying an excessive amount of BF. In which case, you don't need to know an exact percentage...you're just fat, and that answer should be good enough to get you to work at losing it.

JMCTW...