starting strength gym

Thread: Question for Mr. Santana about carb intake

Default Question for Mr. Santana about carb intake

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Santana, I am a bit overweight and am in the process of trying to drop some excess poundage through diet modification. My strategy is to eat more meat/vegetables/dairy and less refined carbs/bread/sugar.

When I do eat carbs (largely via rice), would it be better to eat them on training days, or nom-training days, and if on training days, before or after training? Or does it not really matter?

You need to lower your calories. Yes less sugar on more sedentary days makes sense. But the goal of any diet for anyone doing anything physically demanding should restrict calories from fat first, carbohydrates second, and protein as a last resort unless you are a moron eating 500 grams of protein because bro.

Thank you sir! And the reason I am focussing on carbs is that they are the source of my excess calories, via a LOT of junk food (that I am eating a lot less of lately.)

Junk food has both a high concentration of carbohydrates and fats with fats often providing more of the calories. If you are eating shit like skittles, cereal, and other sugary "snack foods" that are low fat then yes cut that out.