starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two meals per day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    No, I've never taken any PEDs. I'm surprised you asked, my upperbody lifts are mediocre at best for the amount of time I've been training. And I should be clear -- I've only been doing fasts for 3 weeks now. But so far, to my surprise, I've been able to do my workouts without issue, even if I haven't eaten in 48 hours and at the end of an 8 hour work day. I keep my lower body volume to a minimum (and always have), which might be relevant.
    I know guys on PEDs who lift less than me on some lifts and more on others. Doesn't fix everything especially if your programming is bullshit. So now that we've ruled that out, what are your all time PRs and how much are you lifting right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I know guys on PEDs who lift less than me on some lifts and more on others. Doesn't fix everything especially if your programming is bullshit. So now that we've ruled that out, what are your all time PRs and how much are you lifting right now?
    I'll just mention my recent PRs since they are all at the same gym with calibrated metal plates. I've done a little more previously with inaccurate bumpers.

PR: 88kgx5 (done the first week into fasting)
    BP: 118kgx5 (last week)
    SQ: 245kgx3
    DL: 255kgx5

PR and BP were set during the fast, but right now I'm squatting a little less I've done a small reset as I result of a hamstring tweak on that 245kgx3. I'm at 225kgx5. Hamstring feels okay for deads, I did 247.5kgx5 a few days ago.

I don't expect to make any progress because I have not been able to get enough calories in when I do eat (I've lost 10lbs already). I'm considering eating a single meal every day as an alternative. The main thing, though, is that I seem to be able to lift fine even if I haven't eaten. If I switch to the single meal a day I'll eat after I lift in the evening, and will be close to 24 hours fasted each lifting session and from what I've learned so far I don't expect that to be an issue.

How much more did you lift with those bumpers? My guess it that these aren't absolute limit sets, as impressive as they may be, and you are likely using up your fat stores for energy. How your blood sugar isn't dropping low during training is beyond me. You may be just be an outlier, they do exist.

My best lifts with bumpers were:

PR: 100kgx1
    BP: 125kgx5
    SQ: 234kgx5
    DL: 262.5kgx5

What do you mean about blood sugar dipping? What does that feel like?

I don't know anything about the scientific specifics of nutrition, but if I think about it from an evolutionary perspective, it doesn't make sense to me that performance would be so dependent on having recently eaten. I'm assuming we were primarily carnivores before the agricultural revolution and that fasting was normal. It's certainly normal for other carnivores in the wild today. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    My best lifts with bumpers were:

PR: 100kgx1
    BP: 125kgx5
    SQ: 234kgx5
    DL: 262.5kgx5

What do you mean about blood sugar dipping? What does that feel like?

I don't know anything about the scientific specifics of nutrition, but if I think about it from an evolutionary perspective, it doesn't make sense to me that performance would be so dependent on having recently eaten. I'm assuming we were primarily carnivores before the agricultural revolution and that fasting was normal. It's certainly normal for other carnivores in the wild today. What are your thoughts?
    We have energy storage systems in the body. Fat, glycogen, and so on. I'm not sure how you're eating on the days that you do, but if you're getting enough food on those days it's probably not going to wreck you. But you definitely won't perform your absolute best in an underfed state. Yes, much of life on earth has evolved to deal with periods of not having food. But the mechanisms for that are usually self-limiting. Your metabolic rate slows down in reaction to long periods of starvation, your body naturally wants to do less stuff. Yeah, ancient humans had to deal with starvation and managed, but they also weren't constantly pushing against their physical limits the way someone who is training does. In your position based on my own dieting experience, you will probably not lose too much strength, but you will notice it declining over time as you eat like this and continue lifting. I would very much doubt you will be able to set new PRs, that's for sure. No one's predicting you'll "pass out" under the bar, though if you fasted entirely with no eating at all, you probably would hit that point eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like you are making it work for you so no problem here. You are lifting plenty just get stronger up top

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12