starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much weight gain/wk?

Default How much weight gain/wk?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, thanks for the program. I'd like to know how much weight I should be gaining per week and if you think I'm still small enough to be eating a 2k surplus instead of 1k.

I've averaged 5k calories over last 3 months, tracked with chronometer. Started 1/19/21 at 187 ~15%, currently 222 ~21% at 6'4".

Lifts 5rm
    Sq 315
    DL 310
    BP 200
    OP 147.5

2 lb per week would be a good weight gain but not with that under-trained deadlift. What is going on there?

I feel like it's my build, long legs and short torso, my back is less than parallel with the ground when I set up. Grip is probably an issue as well. In my last DL session the bar rolled into the bottom of my fingers on the last rep.

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogIsDirty View Post
    I feel like it's my build, long legs and short torso, my back is less than parallel with the ground when I set up. Grip is probably an issue as well. In my last DL session the bar rolled into the bottom of my fingers on the last rep.
    Are you using chalk and/or a hook grip? Video please. Front and side view

Didn't have room at gym/home for proper front view but my feet are about shoulder width and arms directly vertical.

Side 315x2 DL 315x2 - YouTube

Frontish 275x3
    DL 275x3 - YouTube

I read your article about artificially weak deadlifts and that seems to explain my situation. I failed squats at 320. Since I got to about 275 I always struggle with maintaining back angle and turning into good morning squats, certainly caused by my weak deadlifts.

315 was light your back is just soft.

1) Long socks or shin guards please.

2) Feet a little closer, toes out, widen your grip. This way you can bow out the knees and get more adductor into it off of the floor.

3) Keep the knees back off of the floor. You immediately relax your hamstrings and let them go forward. Pull back and drag up.

You do have artificially weak deadlifts that need to be fixed asap. You are strong enough to do much more. Technique is what is holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post

3) Keep the knees back off of the floor.
    Robert, what do you mean with this comment?

I mean that your shins immediately move forward as you start pulling, which suggests that your hamstrings are relaxing off of the floor.

Given the bar speed and how easily the weight goes up, I would expect excellent results from setting the back in rigid extension (you can see it flexing at the beginning of each rep) and following Coach Santana's instructions.

starting strength coach development program
    Missed last workout and did not sleep/eat enough the past three days because of a business trip. I tried 315 again anyway. My form feels better but my back is still a problem I think.

315x4

DL 315x4 4/21/21 - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast