starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Deeper Battle Than Macros

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The first Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Rocky 3 is the best Rocky because it is so good bad. The highlight - The beach scene and the intimate moment between Apollo and Rocky frolicking in the water.......

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I had to think about this. Mr. T, Hulk Hogan, Losing and Coming Back. Pretty good combination. First two were better written though. 3 was Good Bad. What in the hell happened to Good Bad?

I had to think about this. Mr. T, Hulk Hogan, Losing and Coming Back. Pretty good combination. First two were better written though. 3 was Good Bad. What in the hell happened to Good Bad?
    I dunno about "good bad", but Neil Breen seems to have stumbled into the perfect formula for "so bad it's good".

People do not appreciate how much the deadlift develops the upper body. Pretty much hits everything except the pecs
    Mind you, I haven’t tracked my calories or macros or anything, I have just been eating a lot. Got a lot of fluff at something like 230, 5’9, and now that I pushed the deadlift past 350, I’ve started slimming down and the muscles keep popping out. Super weird, it’s hard to believe. So to the OP, don’t worry about anything else other than pushing the deadlift up close to 405.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    The first Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Rocky 3 is the best Rocky because it is so good bad. The highlight - The beach scene and the intimate moment between Apollo and Rocky frolicking in the water.......
    THERE IS NO TOMORROW ::ECHO::

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I dunno about "good bad", but Neil Breen seems to have stumbled into the perfect formula for "so bad it's good".
    Oh yeah? Not familiar?

Oh yeah? Not familiar?
    It's not the same as the classic Arnold movies and such, which were "bad" as films but you watched them and you felt like "yeah, this is awesome!" Comparing to Arnold's work, Neil Breen movies are kind of like watching Hercules in New York. The version where Arnold isn't dubbed over. They're horrible movies, but they are just so hilarious for how poorly made they are, in just the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    At 5’10’’ and your body weight, once you get your deadlift up by another 30 pounds, you will start slimming up. It’s the weirdest thing in the world. I thought Robert’s notion of the body recomposing was far fetched, but as it turns out, he’s right about that one too.
    People do not appreciate how much the deadlift develops the upper body. Pretty much hits everything except the pecs.
    I've already see this to be true - I'm still carrying enough fat that videos of my lifts with a belt look like somebody put a rubber band on a cupcake. But DESPITE that, I have never seen musculature in the mirror that I see now. My wife swears I've lost 20 lbs of fat, and I keep telling her that's mostly just what's underneath!

I should hit 350 next week, and hope to hit 370 before I have to start alternating - I don't know, that's up to nature and how much my children let me sleep.

Your eating should always center on a goal. If you just let your impulses guide eating when you are not deliberately losing weight, they will fuck you over. Modern foods can trick the hell out of those impulses and lead you to eat way more than you should.
    Yes, and yes. Step one, for me, though, is that I really was seriously messed up. Gluttony is the moral term for it. Dysfunctional relationship with food might be a more modern idiom. No amount goal can change the fact that I don't deal with food like a sane person. That's a psychological, and I would say, spiritual, issue. So that battle first. And I think it is going well. Goals and specifics are indeed needed, though, as a normal part of life, I agree. Foundational work first, is all.

Finally - I appreciate Mr. T as much as the next guy, but on the scale y'all are measuring, you are radically missing the boat by not picking Dolf Lundgren's gloriously oiled Soviet machine performance.

Goodnight.

It's not the same as the classic Arnold movies and such, which were "bad" as films but you watched them and you felt like "yeah, this is awesome!" Comparing to Arnold's work, Neil Breen movies are kind of like watching Hercules in New York. The version where Arnold isn't dubbed over. They're horrible movies, but they are just so hilarious for how poorly made they are, in just the right way.
    Sounds like Road House quality shit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    I've already see this to be true - I'm still carrying enough fat that videos of my lifts with a belt look like somebody put a rubber band on a cupcake. But DESPITE that, I have never seen musculature in the mirror that I see now. My wife swears I've lost 20 lbs of fat, and I keep telling her that's mostly just what's underneath!

I should hit 350 next week, and hope to hit 370 before I have to start alternating - I don't know, that's up to nature and how much my children let me sleep.

Yes, and yes. Step one, for me, though, is that I really was seriously messed up. Gluttony is the moral term for it. Dysfunctional relationship with food might be a more modern idiom. No amount goal can change the fact that I don't deal with food like a sane person. That's a psychological, and I would say, spiritual, issue. So that battle first. And I think it is going well. Goals and specifics are indeed needed, though, as a normal part of life, I agree. Foundational work first, is all.

Finally - I appreciate Mr. T as much as the next guy, but on the scale y'all are measuring, you are radically missing the boat by not picking Dolf Lundgren's gloriously oiled Soviet machine performance.

Goodnight.
    Funny how it all works. I used to bitch about my deltoids, arms, traps/mid back for years. Found The Blue Book and trained the hell out of my press and deadlift and stopped caring about muscle groups within a few years. I was missing two lifts from my program, simple as that.

Dolph Lungdren was pretty badass. He was like an upgrade from Jawz in the old 007 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post

The sleeping is number one. I would probably be at 440 now if I could get some decent shut eye.

Don't...
    Don't do that...
    Don't diminish greatness.

starting strength coach development program
    Road House is in an entirely different universe from a Neil Breen flick. This is a trailer for a movie he did that I guess I'd call almost a superhero movie? I think he hasn't done any more after it (yet).

Neil Breen - Twisted Pair 2018 Trailer - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast