starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Deeper Battle Than Macros

Default A Deeper Battle Than Macros

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started typing this as another response in a different thread, and thought I'd put it up here in case it might be a useful conversation.

I've been over-fat most of my life.

In 2019 I dropped 35 lbs in about 7 weeks doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast, not lifting. Basically less than 1,000 calories a day of as pure protein as possible. Worked like a charm, and it's not the first time I've made significant pushes like that. I can buckle down and shed fat. Problem is, I'm an all or nothing personality.

I am a GLUTTON. And if I'm not specifically dieting, then why not have a second cheeseburger?

So I started my NLP in January at 278, 5' 10", and while I'm doing my NLP, I'm also trying to kill that childish immaturity. I am focusing on getting 175g of protein per day, but other than that, I have no other nutrition targets. I have spent 2021 just making myself make better, more sane food choices. By God's grace, I think I'm changing. I can order fruit instead of fries without a big battle in my head. I don't go back for seconds, etc. Sometimes I still have to tell my wife, "you know what, I knew I was putting too much of that on my plate, I shouldn't have," but a lot less often than back in February.

In January (NLP start) my measurement at navel was 51 inches. I'm down to 48.5. My body weight has gone down a negligible 4 lbs to 273. Basically, despite not being super careful about it, I think I've proven what Rip wrote in the blue book about the effect of the program on "fat guys" to be absolutely correct. If I had buckled down hard with calorie counting, I've no doubt I'd be down 6 inches. So, by my own choice, I am technically [I]NDTP, nutritionally, but thus far my reasoning.

Now I've been told that I'm approaching intermediate on my press - my first lift to get there - and I assume others will follow in the next couple months. I will get my hands on Practical Programming ASAP, and start reading up on all that, but I suppose I've had in my head that somewhere around then, I need to seriously consider bringing in conditioning and getting more intentional about my macros, etc. So in my head, that time is approaching, but not quite yet.

One day, something is going to happen - I'll get injured or something - and I won't be able to lift for awhile. I'll just be sitting around, pondering the way the Baja sauce drips off a Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch. Come that day, I want to have already killed this little imp in my head.

So, I will soon read Practical Programming, and follow whatever advice I find in there for us fat guys - because I will still definitely have some fat to shed. But in the meantime, I thought this might be a helpful conversation.

Input, and correction welcome.

I've always been partial to the Double Decker Taco. How strong have you gotten NDTP?

At least in Tampa, they don't make double decker tacos any more. It's a sad day, for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I've always been partial to the Double Decker Taco. How strong have you gotten NDTP?

That stuff is crack, man! :-)

Started January 4 (It is NOT a new year's resolution)

Squat: 105 to 305 (reset down to 275 last week because I was dive-bombing the descent badly)
    Deadlift: 165 to 340 (I'm told should be further, I got corrected on the boards for starting to alternate my DL too early)
    Press: 65 to 136
    Bench: 105 to 210

I have found Fairlife Skim milk to be helping me lose weight. My problem has always been the add ons when eating protein. I guess lean protein shakes accomplish the same thing but they feel like more of a chore than drinking milk. So with the fairlife I'm getting relatively clean protein and no fat. Also, while its expensive "milk" it's a cheaper alternative to a protein shake. Down 8 lbs in a month with a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    At least in Tampa, they don't make double decker tacos any more. It's a sad day, for sure.....
    This makes me very sad. Do you remember the Texas Taco when City Slickers 2 came out?

At 5’10’’ and your body weight, once you get your deadlift up by another 30 pounds, you will start slimming up. It’s the weirdest thing in the world. I thought Robert’s notion of the body recomposing was far fetched, but as it turns out, he’s right about that one too.

Sounds like your issue isn't in the specifics of losing weight, but in fact all in your head. As someone who used to not give a fuck at all about what he ate for the sake of nutrition until 2-3 years ago, I've found a really good way to look at things is that you are ALWAYS on a diet. Being "on a diet" means you are eating with a goal in mind. Your eating should always center on a goal. If you just let your impulses guide eating when you are not deliberately losing weight, they will fuck you over. Modern foods can trick the hell out of those impulses and lead you to eat way more than you should.

Makes me sadder....

I do not remember the texas taco.

And Rocky 3 is the best Rocky. (re your podcast).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    This makes me very sad. Do you remember the Texas Taco when City Slickers 2 came out?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    At 5’10’’ and your body weight, once you get your deadlift up by another 30 pounds, you will start slimming up. It’s the weirdest thing in the world. I thought Robert’s notion of the body recomposing was far fetched, but as it turns out, he’s right about that one too.
    People do not appreciate how much the deadlift develops the upper body. Pretty much hits everything except the pecs.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Makes me sadder....

I do not remember the texas taco.

And Rocky 3 is the best Rocky. (re your podcast).
    I had to think about this. Mr. T, Hulk Hogan, Losing and Coming Back. Pretty good combination. First two were better written though. 3 was Good Bad. What in the hell happened to Good Bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast