starting strength gym
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights & Plates Podcast

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    That first episode was great! I appreciate that you guys are talking about physique goals within the SS context. And I enjoyed the positive discussion of Schwarzenegger’s Encyclopedia - I was reading that as a 16 year old with dreams of being big.
    Arnold couldn't teach a squat if his life depended on it but the era from which he was a novice taught him the same basic principles that we teach here. I'm not sure if you gathered that when you read it but the statement that stuck in my mind was when he said barbells were superior for mass. Seems that most other gym bros didn't get that memo.

Future podcast fodder: Would like to hear about what led you to opening your own gym and trials/tribulations there. Lessons learned, etc.
    As a small business owner in a completely different industry, always like to hear how other entrepreneurs did things.

Definitely on the list Erich. Lot to unpack there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    After pondering this for over a year and a half, I finally got this thing off the ground. I will be releasing a new episode every other week. My running idea for the format is one episode will be about diet and one episode will be about training as one would expect with the name of my business. Trent Jones will be accompanying me as my co-host and sound producer. Enjoy

Weights and Plates Podcast on Apple Podcasts
    Awesome I just caught this post. Will subscribe

Great stuff, Robert!

I was that keto-chasing ultramarathoner a decade ago. My wife even commented today, after seeing a "memories" picture online after I had just finished running a half marathon for fun with coworkers, how gaunt I looked compared to now. We talked as I shoveled down a large plate for breakfast that included a half sweet potato, since today is my "H" day. I explained to her that I'm only 25lbs heavier than that pic, which she couldn't believe. But I do know she enjoys the difference.

I'm glad you saw the light like most of us here have. The amount of silliness we've been fed over the last several decades cannot be overstated.

Arnold was 210 in Hercules in New York? No way man. I can see that for the later movies for sure, he definitely went down in size. But in that one he's so comically enormous compared to everyone else that he became a meme.

Shows the beauty of cameras. Read his autobiography. They told him to get down to 210 because the camera adds size.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm reminded of two actors whose training for movies seemed a little outside of the usual Hollywood steroid fest, although I'm probably being naive.

Hugh Jackman: I remember reading an article tracking his body recomposition since he's played Logan from X-Men in 2000 up through The Wolverine in 2014 and Logan in 2017. The thesis of the article was two-fold: it took Jackman, a theatre guy, a small and lanky dancer, almost 15-20 years to get as "big" as he was in those last flicks AND his results changed when he switched trainers who started him using barbells. It still was incredibly difficult for him to put on weight. You forget how long he's been prepping for stuff, because he doesn't do those kinds of roles outside of the X-Men universe.

Henry Cavill: Mark Twight, former owner of Gym Jones, had Cavill, who was not small by any measure when he was prepping for Man of Steel, use barbells along with reportedly huge amounts of food and sleep. If you look at him in that movie, he kinda looks more like he's been deadlifting and pressing, than doing a whole bunch of dumbbell and machine shit. I remember seeing pictures of him visiting barbell gyms during filming and maybe attending a weighlifting competition at one point.

Just some things that rang a bell.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast