starting strength gym
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights & Plates Podcast

Another outstanding one, gentlemen.

Guilty of all of the above, especially during my chronic cardio days. At 6'00", 190lbs for my lightest races, often just at 200lbs, I was always going to be a middle-of-the packer at any distance from 5K to 50-miler. And I looked emaciated at 190lbs (yet my doc wants me to get down to 175lbs, because BMI, y'know). My wife would look at me once the race was done and say "now it's time for you to eat" even though I was tracking 4-5,000 calories a day (very hard to do on keto and keep the food reasonable).

Those ultras I did while keto (race day allowances were made for more carbs, especially after the 40K (marathon-ish) mark, but slow and steady actually worked quite well. So this journey under the bar was different and it took me a while to accept the fact that I needed to maintain a consistent carb intake in order to get through the heavier work sets.

Now, at 225lbs, she likes the look a lot more, even if there is a bit of fluff.

Keep 'em coming!

Your wife sounds like a wise woman. I'm glad you saw the light Bill, it feels quite good to be fueled doesn't it?

It does. Feeding during those times was a chore and I had to become obsessive about it, and not in a good way. So much so that I can't bring myself to track macros now. But I'm not in a spot where I would need to, and that's a great thing.

I enjoyed it as well. It was my first time listening to a podcast. I'm still processing all this info, but I've been starting to put it into practice.

Glad to hear that this is all helpful. Eating need not be this complicated, we've been doing it under far more difficult circumstances for centuries

It's becoming a bit easier now that I'm starting to understand why we need certain macros for our specific goals. I'm sure that I'm doing other things wrong and I'm excited to learn more. For now, I'm positive that lack of carbs has inhibited my recovery in the past. I won't make that mistake this time.

Very common reason for many. The 20+ years of carb phobia has confused many people. The fat guy sitting on the couch can lose weight fine on low carb and not feel any detriment other than his longing for carbs after a long enough timeline. The fat guy trying to train is going to feel his workouts go to complete hell though. Remember all these diets are much like the protein RDA. They were studied in sedentary populations or at best light exercise. Even that gives them too much credit because they didn't measure what the fuck these people were actually eating and chances are they were NDTP much like people who have come on this board and inspired A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe.

I've found carbs in general to be very important myself. One time I had a total night vs day change in a workout just by eating a big potato the night before. But I've found the high glycemic type carbs do have strangely deleterious effects. I just started a cut recently and there was a massive change in just noticeable "puffiness" after just a week with almost none of those refined sugar type products. Likewise, at the end of bulks, I usually turn to that sort of stuff to keep things going and squeeze more calories in, and it always seems to not really work. Weight gain progresses, but weight on the bar continues to freeze up. In the future I think I'm going to just stay away from that stuff no matter how I'm dieting.

starting strength coach development program
    High glycemic carbs are useful when calories are low and you have to train. Blood sugar tends to get low and they tend to balance that out intraworkout but otherwise the less the better

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast