starting strength gym
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights & Plates Podcast

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I was using powdered gatorade mixed in with water. When I was trying it pre-workout I'd just make a small 8 ounce glass. When I tried it for during the workout I was mixing a scoop or two into my big water jug I bring to the gym.
    Just try straight dextrose or maltodextrin.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I feel like I did NOT exceed the norm on mine but still have had issues with intermediate programming.
    Everyone does because it is intermediate programming. The point is you are still here working through that. I've seen very strong lifters quit training because the roller coaster ride that is post-novice programming is too psychologically and emotionally challenging. I actually met a guy at a PL gym once way back when who ran a LP then TM and admitted to me that he was mad that there was no more LP so he hopped on drugs because he wanted more LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Everyone does because it is intermediate programming. The point is you are still here working through that. I've seen very strong lifters quit training because the roller coaster ride that is post-novice programming is too psychologically and emotionally challenging. I actually met a guy at a PL gym once way back when who ran a LP then TM and admitted to me that he was mad that there was no more LP so he hopped on drugs because he wanted more LP.
    I can see that, building strength is pretty addictive, it's why I keep going. Looking forward to part 2.

Wolf is a similar case.
    I know this is diet, and this won't be, diet,
    Where has Wolf been ?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    I know this is diet, and this won't be, diet,
    Where has Wolf been ?
    He's in Texas. Shoot him a note.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a very important topic. You'll get a lot more out of part 2 as intermediate. It has been my experience that many intermediates, especially gifted intermediates who ended their LP with impressive results that far exceed the norm, are not mentally or emotionally prepared for the roller coaster ride that is post-novice training.
    Do you think the transition is easier for older lifters? I'm certainly not chasing numbers or PRs. Not interested in competing. Aesthetics is not a primary goal. But I do want to keep training and age well so I can live well. (Female, late 50s, training for almost 3 years).

Older novices have a similar trajectory to younger novices, with the main difference being a far shorter LP and frequency drops happening sooner. You'll PR until you don't then at some point it's all an overall decline that you are mitigating by engaging in this in the first place. I have a lady in her mid 50s who has been training with me for 8 years now. She is eeking out small PRs but PRs nonetheless. I noticed her upper body strength isn't what it was but we are on a good run so maybe we'll get something good soon. Older lifters who trained when they were younger have it harder because the decline may start sooner. Just really depends. I have another guy who started in his 50s, just turned 60 and pulled 530 and squatted 440 (both PRs) in the last year. In fact, he is probably reading this.

There seems to be a Gatorade shortage around here. I noticed that dextrose was the third ingredient, after water and sugar. Would dextrose powder be a better way to go, regardless of availability?

Dextrose has always been my go to. You'll still want the electrolytes so just keep an eye on that with your other foods.

Oh, yeah. Good point. I just bought a 3 lb can of Gatorade powder. I'll use it up while researching alternatives.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast