starting strength gym
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights & Plates Podcast

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My programming is 2 sets of 3 reps for heavy days. Since that day with you, I've probably pussed out maybe 3 workouts on DL total.

Re cut... Some want to cut 2 lbs per week, some half a pound, etc. Why would someone need to do 2lbs vs half a pound, etc. I'd imagine most here when doing a cut, do it wrong. I know I probably have.

For what purpose, you asked......I honestly care about fitting into my size 34 waist pants. I dont care what I weigh because it's irrelevant. But I don't want to have to buy an entirety new wardrobe!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    1) No
    2) Aggressive cut for what purpose? Some people have to cut aggressively to lose 1-2 lb per week and others don't.

Finish the last two reps man. Then add another 5 lb. Then you'll have 405+ next time you come in.

The more aggressive the cut the more it will likely threaten your training. Cutting, by definition, is under-recovery. If you are advanced enough under the bar, training becomes exercise-on-a-diet when you cut calories because no meaningful progress is likely to be made and strength loss is inevitable.

I saw a mention of your latest podcast called The Importance of GPP and More Thoughts on Maintenance and wondered how I missed it, Robert. The I saw that I missed it here.

Very timely, as I transition from training to spending the next several months snowboarding (my inland proxy for surfing) as I do every year. Last year was the first year that I did a maintenance program during those months and I resumed training much stronger than re-starting from scratch. That resumed NLP for each lift was just a few weeks, instead of all summer as it has been in years past.

Thanks for the continued great content!

Looks like I forgot to post here. We squeezed that one in pretty quick. Glad you liked it. It's basic classical periodization in practice. Nothing too complicated, you manage your resources and divert them towards the activity you want to improve at and away from secondary activities. Glad it's working for you.

I thought I was the odd man out around here for hating squats. I remember my first crack at an NLP a guy at the gym I was working out at took note that I was squatting three times a week and the weight kept going up. He observed, "wow, you must really like squats." I said, "No, actually I fucking hate them".

Have you found any evidence that "set point" you talked about can move around? I feel like mine has definitely advanced with age. It seems like the body wants to hold onto fat more vigorously than it used to.

Still gotta do them. Been doing them for 20 years and counting.

My set point is around 180-200 give or take. It has pretty much held there but I'm also under 40 so your problems will probably be mine in due time.

Yep, still gotta do them. I'm not quite 40 yet, only 37. Honestly I found fat started to wanna stick around in larger quantities somewhere around 30.

starting strength coach development program
    Ah so we have the same problems then. I'm also 37. 30 is still pretty young to deal with involuntary fat gain. Can you elaborate?

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast