starting strength gym

Thread: Initial Caloric/Macro Intake Help

Default Initial Caloric/Macro Intake Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

I am having trouble with my initial caloric/macro intake and was hoping to get some input from you. Here is some backstory to my training history:

I started the SS novice program last spring till the end of August, and then did not train until January 2021. By August, my deadlift and squat was at 345lbs, bench at 145 lbs and press at 95lbs. Something to keep note of was that I was not eating enough (probably ate between 2750-3000 calories) during my training stint from last spring to August and I was around 160 lbs (which is why I did not progress more on my lifts). In January, I decided to go on a "cut" (now realizing that was a bad idea) until the end of April. I was still training while on the cut, but I was doing another program. The program had squats, deadlifts and bench presses, but the weights on those lifts obviously went down (as I was on a calorie deficit) and I was doing those exercises only once a week. By April, my deadlift and squat was at 255lbs and bench at 130 lbs. After realizing that going on a cut was a bad idea, I want to re-start the SS novice program and want to be eating correctly (enough) this time around.

Here is some current info:

- Sex: Male
    - Weight: 135 lbs
    - BF% Estimate: 13-14%
    - Current Calorie and Macro Totals: 4000 calories, 200 g protein, 494 g carbs and 136 g fat (I got these totals from your articles on calorie needs, protein, carbs and dietary fats, and used the numbers on the higher range of your recommendations, except for protein as you said that individuals gaining weight can be somewhere in the middle of the range)
    - Goal: Gain muscle (priority) and strength

I just started eating this much (4000 calories) as I recently re-started the SS novice program, and just wanted some clarification from you if my current calorie intake is enough? Should I be eating more (if yes, how much more)? Are my macro distributions correct (any changes I should make)?

Thank you and looking forward to your response.

That is more than enough. Don't ever weigh 135 again. If you do you YNDTP

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 05-26-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Thank you for the response! (and yes, fully noted...never again)

And are the macros okay?

Should be fine. Shoot for 600 g carbohydrates and 175 g fat for good measure. Then scale it back down when your weight corrects itself. Unless you are 4'10" I can't see a good reason for 135 lb.

Thank you for the advice Robert!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome