starting strength gym

Thread: Change of Course

Default Change of Course

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good day,

So last year I was Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I weighed 227 on a 5'7 42 year old body and was at 36% body fat. I got very serious about my nutrition and focused on Macular Endurance and conditioning training. From Feb 2020 to Jan 2021 I lost 51 pounds of Fat and 1 pound of Lean Mass and currently have my BF down to 20%. My Visceral Fat scale went from 19 to 7. I weigh, and continue to do so, my food intake. I currently as of this morning sit at 180. I'm ready to go in the directions of Strength training and GPP for my life and continuing health. I was eating 1921 calories a day. 146 as Proteins 223 as Carbs and 68 as fats, given it fluctuates 100 calories here and there. I understand I need to Eat Alot more. So my 2 questions.

1. How do I determine what my Macros should be so I see the Most in Strength and Lean mass in return? I get I will have to gain weight which leads me to number 2.

2. How do I mentally overcome the dread of seeing my weight go up and not freak out about getting fat again?

Magni

1) Nutrition Position Papers

2) This is a question for a psychologist. One way or another you are going to have to accept weight increase if you are going from eating less to eating more and if you are adding muscle mass. How to do that is variable but I will tell you that it's a process.

Quote Originally Posted by Magni1078 View Post
    Good day,
    2. How do I mentally overcome the dread of seeing my weight go up and not freak out about getting fat again?
    Magni
    Start using measurements of size vs mass. The scale only tells you mass, you can't see mass and your doctor will tell you the mass is only relevant to it's content. So good job on your loss of mass, now start focusing on body measurements.

I followed Sananta's advice and dropped an additional 20 pounds to 190. That was an arbitrary but measurable goal. I have been there about six months now and have shifted to measuring my progress by the measurement around my waist and my chest. In simple terms its how my pants and belt fit every day. I can tell you that continued lifting will continue to modify your physical proportions. I have people telling me I'm losing weight when I know I'm gaining because the scale said so, but my waist is smaller.

Start watching what is important, size. Let the mass work it's self out. I promise you no one but your scale and tell your mass. Everyone that see's your can tell your size. BTW, my visceral fat estimate by dexascan continues to go down even though my weight/mass is increasing.