starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For one week, need easy protein sources

Default For one week, need easy protein sources

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got summer camp that I will be participating in, as a counselor. Zero training happening. May try to use this week as a one week 'cut', but what will happen is by day 5 (of 8), I'll start eating lucky charms for breakfast, bc I am exhausted and have no will power.

So, I'll have some fairlife 'shakes', 30g per bottle, Clif builder bars, 20g per bar. I know canned tuna is easy, but that tastes like shit and the cabin will smell, so canned 'stuff' isn't a good idea. Beef jerky, I guess should be on the menu, right? (epic bars only have like 8g protein, and aren't filling, and are expensive per bar compared to Clif builders)

Is there anything else easy to have that folks can recommend? That can keep well, too. Targeting 200g/day, and I will be lucky to get 100 from the meals provided.

Thanks to anyone and any suggestions!

Well you aren't going to accomplish much in one week so I would recommend not doing it. I'm not quite sure what you are wanting help with on this one Mike. Can you clarify what the challenge is? You aren't training and will be eating less?

Just need easy protein sources that don't have to be in the fridge. Clif bars and the fairlife give be 50g (assumes I have 1 each day).

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Got summer camp that I will be participating in, as a counselor. Zero training happening. May try to use this week as a one week 'cut', but what will happen is by day 5 (of 8), I'll start eating lucky charms for breakfast, bc I am exhausted and have no will power.

So, I'll have some fairlife 'shakes', 30g per bottle, Clif builder bars, 20g per bar. I know canned tuna is easy, but that tastes like shit and the cabin will smell, so canned 'stuff' isn't a good idea. Beef jerky, I guess should be on the menu, right? (epic bars only have like 8g protein, and aren't filling, and are expensive per bar compared to Clif builders)

Is there anything else easy to have that folks can recommend? That can keep well, too. Targeting 200g/day, and I will be lucky to get 100 from the meals provided.

Thanks to anyone and any suggestions!
    Pickled eggs are easy protein and you can make a bunch of biltong for very cheap. Any reason you can’t have a stove/bbq and cool box with some meat in for the first few days ?

I like Quest protein chips better than any other quickie source. Hard boiled eggs and string cheese are good too. To give you an example, I drove to Texas this weekend and pretty much lived off of Jerky and Quest chips so I didn't have to stop. Also picked up some chopped pineapple at Love's. There are always options

I'll have to see if there are pickled eggs that I can try. No stove BBQ options, and definitely no cool box options. Wish there was....

Will check out quest chips too. If I have chips, jerky, clifs, and fairlife, that's about 100g protein right there. Wish I could tolerate canned tuna/salmon, but I just can't in that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Pickled eggs are easy protein and you can make a bunch of biltong for very cheap. Any reason you can’t have a stove/bbq and cool box with some meat in for the first few days ?

Get the 42g Fairlife shakes

I'll have to see if there are pickled eggs that I can try. No stove BBQ options, and definitely no cool box options. Wish there was....

Will check out quest chips too. If I have chips, jerky, clifs, and fairlife, that's about 100g protein right there. Wish I could tolerate canned tuna/salmon, but I just can't in that setting.
    I've mixed my tuna with mustard. Odd combination but paired well. The Wild Planet canned salmon is real good IMO. So is the tuna, expensive but great for what it is

I got the fairlife 30g shakes from Costco, JJ23. Much cheaper per bottle. If the 42g goes on sale @ Publix, I'll get tons of them.

Robert, I've tried the tuna/salmon thing at this camp in years past. It's an unpleasant experience. I cannot explain why, it just is. (tuna and A1 = thumbs up too).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I've mixed my tuna with mustard. Odd combination but paired well. The Wild Planet canned salmon is real good IMO. So is the tuna, expensive but great for what it is

starting strength coach development program
    What kind of camp are you going to? I assume it's a regular sleep away kids camp which will likely have a dining hall. Go talk to the staff, make a friend and get an extra serving of the protein they serve at every meal. This plus a box of quest bars and a pound or two of whey and you are set. I think you are over thinking this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast