starting strength gym

Thread: Processed Meat

Default Processed Meat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good Morning Robert,

I tend to limit my consumption of heavily processed or cured meats because of the link to cancer, my grandad had prostrate cancer and it was enough to make me think that limiting pepperoni or chorizo to a couple of times a month isn't that much of a sacrifice.

Anyway, I live in the countryside near some excellent farm butchers and they do a great selection of various meats and I just wondered if buying something like a steak burger or sausage from these places would be considered 'heavily processed' or not?

Define processed? Have you heard any reviews on the place?

There are some assumptions on my part here but I would call pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, slim Jim's, etc processed. I guess my definition would be reconstitution meat products. I'm not saying I don't eat them, I just try not to have them every day.

The reviews are excellent, I've eaten there and it's really great food. Maybe a better way of asking my question would be is if a burger made from ground steak, spices, seasoning, etc is a reasonable protein source? To me this is essentially the same as eating a piece of steak.

That checks out with my definition too. A burger made from unprocessed meath as you describe would be the same as eating a piece of steak from a nutritional standpoint. Don't see any issue there and you can get it pretty lean if you request it in advance. I practically live off of ground beef.