starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition help

Default Nutrition help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

Hoping to get a little help. I'm just about to turn 34 and I'm 6'2. I was weighing 335 and got down to 250 eating under my maintenence and doing some weights, but not NLP. Then at the end of March I started NLP and my numbers were SQ 80 BP 100 OHP 60 DL 90. I've made some good progress (I think) and now about 3 months later those numbers are SQ 215 BP 180 OHP 115 Deadlift 215. I know the deadlift is weaker than it should be. My bodyweight has shot back up to 270 and my waist is 48. It's definitely mentally hard to not be fitting into some clothes again after such a big weight loss. I've been eating 3500 cal with 300 protein about 300 carb and about 95 fat. I cut down to 3000 call for a couple weeks and lost a couple pounds but also started failing on my reps and then reset. I'm a pro saxophone player and I practice 8 hours a day. It's physical work as it's a lot of very fast movements, so definitely more than an office worker, though definitely not like working construction or something. I do stand all day though. Hoping you could give me some advice, as my weight is getting high again. I don't like it, but I'd be willing to deal with it if you say the right move is to just keep going and gaining strength for a while longer before losing some weight. Thanks so much for reading!

Why is the deadlift so low, you didn't really explain that one?

You need to cut your protein down to 200 grams per day and i'm sure that alone will move you in the other direction. Calorie recommendations vary and the guy with more body fat is in a different situation than the guy who needs to gain weight. You can make progress on less. Metabolic efficiency does have some advantages.

Thanks Robert. I'm not sure why my deadlift is so low, I think it's just weak hamstrings. I will try to get it higher. With 200g protein, what would you suggest my other macros and calories be at this weight with these goals? Thank you so much for your help!

Video please

Keep the other macros the same for now, that's a 400 calorie reduction.