starting strength gym

Thread: Artificial Sweeteners

I have to read it closely but it would not surprise me that artificial sweeteners piss off the gut. That is something we've known for a while. How much yo can stretch this, I'd need to read more into to form an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I have to read it closely but it would not surprise me that artificial sweeteners piss off the gut. That is something we've known for a while. How much yo can stretch this, I'd need to read more into to form an opinion.
    Aspartame metabolism by commensal bacteria has been speculated for the last 20 years both to impact obesity by effecting modest microbiome shifts and to impact gut barrier function.
    The cited work used 100 µM aspartame on an in vitro human colonic epithelial cell model without any microbiome constituents.
    While this concentration is reasonable (diet coke aspartame conc. ~1.8 mM), in my opinion, a small intestinal cell line would be preferred (little aspartame makes it to the colon following metabolism in the small intestine).
    The study is additionally limited to showing modest (less than an order of magnitude) increases in cell adhesion and invasion by E. coli and E. faecalis. Raw data are not shown, only normalized values.
    The E. coli strain used in the study is of limited utility aside from standard antimicrobial resistance assays.
    In my opinion, although the popular press took some interest, the cited work does not provide either mechanistic understanding or cause for concern.

Sounds like what I'd expect. I'll have my own analysis sometime this week