starting strength gym

Thread: Should I actively pursue 20% bf?

Default Should I actively pursue 20% bf?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Quick question on nutritional goals. Was going through the blue book and saw in the nutrition section that 20% body fat was referenced as a goal for bigger guys to get down to. Wondering if I should make efforts to get down to 20% from my fluffy perch at 24% (according to three different sites, no idea if they are accurate, one was the Navy calculation).

I am nearing the end of my NLP, though I'm still eeking out consistent squat gains. Personal details are male, 33, 236lbs, 6'2". Started NLP at ~215 getting 4k calories on 200g protein, 300g carbs, and 200g fat. After a few weeks at this, moved to 3500 calories at 230g protein, 350g carbs, and 100g fat. Work a desk job, so best I can tell, maintenance calories are around 2500 (?), so was considering dropping down to 3k/day by trying to get that fat number down, but don't want to saw off the end of the NLP. In case it matters, lifts (all lbs. at 5x3 except for 5x1 dl) are 295, 212.5, 147.5, and 415.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I would squeeze out whatever progress you have left, then clean up the diet and trim down some fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I would squeeze out whatever progress you have left, then clean up the diet and trim down some fat.
    Thanks for this. Think the next step for me will be the three-day TM, so after NLP, will probably try 3k calories at 50/30/20 and see how that goes.

Do not do TM on calorie restriction. If you go the TM route expect to be eating a lot

Do not do TM on calorie restriction. If you go the TM route expect to be eating a lot
    Thanks for this flag. Still not completely sure what comes next from a programming standpoint. I don’t plan to be on a “restriction”, but I will try to reduce fat and backfill those calories with protein and carbs. My work slacks are starting to look like a sorority chick’s yoga pants, so I would like to lose at least some of the body fat.

I'm not completely sure either, you just said you were going to do 3 day TM. I don't see that ending well on 3k calories but you can try.

I'm not completely sure either, you just said you were going to do 3 day TM. I don't see that ending well on 3k calories but you can try.
    Yep, I think that is what I will try next, but still not sure. But based on your guidance, I will definitely not try TM at low calories. I’m hopeful that just getting my lifts higher as I close out the NLP will solve some of this, but if not, I’ll just reduce fat and keep calories up. Really appreciate the feedback.

Intensity and caloric need have a linear relationship. Keep this in mind

Intensity and caloric need have a linear relationship. Keep this in mind
    I will—thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome