starting strength gym

Thread: Eating red meat five times a week

Default Eating red meat five times a week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Robert,

I’ve been following your podcast, I think it’s great! Along with Rip’s podcast, it has become a must listen to me. I’m a bit ashamed of asking this question, but there is so much stuff on the internet that I don’t know what to believe.

For protein I have been eating 500g of lean meat per day, five times a week (the other 2 days I eat chicken and sardines). I think the cut is called “Beef Round, Top (Inside) Round Steak” in the US and it has almost no visible fat.

My question is, is it healthy to eat so much red meat per week? I’d rather have that than chicken.

For context I’m 31 years old, 187cm, 94Kg.
    In the last year I’ve had to restart 3 times my NLP for various reasons, but my best lifts where:

Squat 3x5x128Kg (high bar, cannot do low bar )
    Bench 3x5x98Kg
    Press 3x5x68Kg
    Deadlift 1x5x180Kg

I eat around 3600Cals with 350g to 400g of carbs and more than 200g of protein per day with less than 100g of total fat. I think that’s the breakdown that you recommend.

I don't see a problem from a calorie standpoint if your fat is ending up at 100 grams per day. Sounds like you are balancing that well. You should donate blood every so often though because the iron will store, which is thought to lead to colon cancer long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You should donate blood every so often though because the iron will store, which is thought to lead to colon cancer long term.
    Mmm I don't like the sound of that . Thank you Robert for pointing that out, I will investigate it further, in the meantime I will eat more chicken then!

Robert,

That’s interesting about the iron. I saw in another recent post where you said you basically live off ground beef. Me too. Do you donate? If so, how often?

I try to once per year. Last year's idiocy made that difficult but I'm likely due. Pre-menopausal females have the opposite problem. Menstrual cycles take care of the iron storage problem but then create an iron deficiency problem in a demographic that often avoids red meat as it is.

So if someone were to go on a big mac diet with some veggies for a couple of weeks to jumpstart a diet they would be alright? Asking for a friend.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Savagerandy View Post
    So if someone were to go on a big mac diet with some veggies for a couple of weeks to jumpstart a diet they would be alright? Asking for a friend.
    For what purpose?