starting strength gym

Thread: Middle Aged Weak Fat Guy

Default Middle Aged Weak Fat Guy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, all!

I am a huge fan of what you guys do here. So I am a 38-year-old man. I weigh 270 at a height of 5'11 and I have had issues with my weight. At one point I got down to 230 but it was through one of those diets where you buy your meals and you're basically on 800 calories a day. Problem is that when I got down to that weight(230) I didn't have any muscle. I didn't look nearly like how I had wanted. A lot of excess skin around the arms and belly. Not great. That plus 800 calories a day is unsustainable so I gained most of it back. I decided that I need to do something. Started with the "bigger, leaner, stronger method" and that brought me to Starting Strength and I am training 3 times a week at Grant Broggi's Gym. I am a month and a half in.

My lifts are
    Bench 150
    squat 190
    press 100
    deadlift 300

Here is my issue. I am weighing myself every day and my weight is not going down. I am on a 2400 calorie meal plan and have been for a month and a half now. I wasn't doing cardio because I figured the calorie decrease would do the trick (you know lose weight gain lean muscle mass). Although my lifts are going up my scale isn't moving. Now I feel like the lifts are getting harder.

So here is the question. Should I: A. bump my calories up to 3000 see if that helps with recovery and the LP. Forget the scale for right now knowing at some point I will go on a cut with more muscle mass? B. Keep my calorie count at 2400 and add HIIT cardio 3 times a week to cut the weight down, quit being a whiney baby, and just grind the lifts. C. Keep doing what I am doing. Realize that I am gaining muscle and possibly losing fat at the same, and in time I will see results on the scale...maybe? Or D. lower my calories even further to see if that works to move the scale? I guess my question is should focus more on recovery and gaining muscle right now or weight loss being that I am 2 months into my LP? The goal is to be a healthy 230 by December of this year.

P.S. I am starting a TRT regimen next week. Do you think that will help at all?

You probably lost muscle mass and fucked up your thyroid function dieting like that. 3K with steady progress under the bar will probably get yo where you want especially if adding TRT, which will certainly help.