starting strength gym

Thread: Meal scheduling

Default Meal scheduling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for all your great advice on the board.

I’m 31, BW 232, 5’10”, 38” waist.
    My latest 1RMs were 580 squat, 365 bench, 625 deadlift at the end of last year.

I’ve been lifting seriously for a few years, and recently been having trouble getting all my meals in at work. I get to work early and end up eating 4 meals there that I prep for the week on Sunday. Things come up and I may miss 1 or 2 of these meals. This puts me behind and my workouts end up suffering.

To improve consistency I’ve started utilizing more protein shakes (made with 24oz 2% milk, 1/2 cup of oats and 30g of whey) and burritos that I make myself. Each of these “meals” ends up being around 50-60g of protien, 100g carbs and 20g of fat. I have 2 shakes and a burrito at work, and have dinner with the family (lean protein and starch with around the same macros). I also drink some Gatorade/grape drink while I work out. I eat some fruit or veggie with every meal.

My question is, are these individual meals to large? I feel good eating this way and am way more consistent, but am looking for a sanity check. I like utilizing this system as it significantly decreases my total meal prep time and makes it way easier to get enough calories in. Would you recommend any changes or see any major pitfalls?

I don't see a problem with this if they are getting you where you need to be to get through your training, providing sufficient healthy options that meet your nutrient needs, and realistic for you to follow. My position is that if you can get 3 food meals in and a shake or two you are probably okay.

Ok thanks Robert. It’s been working well I haven’t missed a meal. I actually feel less uncomfortably full, even though I’m putting down an extra 500-600 calories a day.

You are welcome. Keep it going now.