starting strength gym

Thread: Thyroid function and carbs

Default Thyroid function and carbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rob, enjoy the podcast a lot! Thank you for doing that. I have a quick question.

In 2009 I got weight loss surgery (455lbs down to 220lbs). Looking back, I basically starved myself, ran 30 miles a week, and wasted my time in the gym. I started reading the blue book two years ago and have seen my squat go to 385, bench to 230 (shoulder problems that flare up), OHP 205, deadlift is 425. My progress was hampered mostly by not programming correctly for almost a year and half of those two years. Along with rotating day shift and night shift, three kids under three years old and general life. I am 35 years old, 275lbs, 5'11''. I know I'm chubby and I'm working on it.

My question is: I have heard you talk a lot about dieting and thyroid issues. I have hypothyroid issues and am on meds for it each morning. I am eating 200-230 g protein each day, less then 80g fat and I try so hard to get 300g carbs per day. Because of the surgery I had in 2009, I cannot stuff my face and get a lot of food in. Those numbers are hard for me to hit, because the carbs I eat are fruit (banana, oranges, grapes), veggies (potatoes, peas, corn, green beans, broccoli), rice and oats. I stay away from bread and pasta.

Since switching from Keto two months ago, I have gained a good 25lbs (I don't really want to do that). What am I to do? To eat more carbs I'll need to eat carb rich foods like pasta and pretzels to get any more carbs in me because they offer more carbs per ounce then veggies. Is the weight gain due to carbs? I know fat is sneaking in way too often, and I'm committed to cutting that back. Any suggestions? And how can a person get their thyroid back into shape? How long might that take?

Thank you so much for the resources you have provided.

I'm not sure how severe your hypothyroidism is but beyond a point it is irreversible and requires lifelong medication. That said, you should be taking in kelp, seaweed, and other sources of iodine and selenium as those two micronutrients play a role in thyroid hormone production. That said, carbohydrate intake is also related to thyroid activity and if keto was associated with weight gain and calories have been consistent that may be part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That said, carbohydrate intake is also related to thyroid activity and if keto was associated with weight gain and calories have been consistent that may be part of the issue.
    Robert, sorry to interrupt but would you minding explaining what you said about carb intake being related to thyroid activity? I don't understand if carbs impact thyroid positively or negatively and if a person's thyroid isn't functioning optimally, should carbs be included or reduced? My inclination is to say they should be reduced but I'm wrong a lot.

If you are hypothyroid you will need to reduce calories to a very low amount to induce weight loss if your case is severe enough. Back when research and science were closer to the same thing there was some data out of the Vermont Prison Study that actually measured hormonal responses to actual intake of foods (as opposed to self reported intake).

Dietary-induced alterations in thyroid hormone metabolism during overnutrition - PubMed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If you are hypothyroid you will need to reduce calories to a very low amount to induce weight loss if your case is severe enough. Back when research and science were closer to the same thing there was some data out of the Vermont Prison Study that actually measured hormonal responses to actual intake of foods (as opposed to self reported intake).

Dietary-induced alterations in thyroid hormone metabolism during overnutrition - PubMed
    Appreciate the link. Thank you. I'll read it now.

You are welcome

Just depressing. That's all I understand from this reply. I am pretty sure my case is severe because I can eat as clean as I want. I'll gain weight. Unless I reduce calories to the point where I stall in my strength gains.

Depends how you look at it. You can still build muscle and get strong. You can also keep your weight down to a reasonable level but have less wiggle room to eat like an asshole. Abs are not in the cards for you but I don't get the impression that you are seeking them, which is a Good Thing.

I have hypothyroidism and take tirosint daily for it. It’s really not much of a big deal so long as you find a treatment that works for you. While I don’t have abs, nor do I care, I’m still not fat and eat mostly whatever I want.

starting strength coach development program
    Pardon the interruption
    Just a couple of suggestions from another thyroid patient.

The absorption of thyroid medication is greatly influenced by food and coffee. Always try to take it on empty stomach. When I wake up at 3am to pee I take my thyroid medication.

If you are taking a generic be sure to get the same generic each time. Again, absorption varies for each manufacturer.

Back to regular programming.