starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition for NLP -- Fat guy

Default Nutrition for NLP -- Fat guy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'm 31 years old, 5'7" and 175lbs with body fat 28-30% according to a few different online calculators including the Navy one.
    I'm about to start the NLP, have a couple months of barbell training on an overly complicated program that mixes in some body building stuff, so I'm not sure what my 3x5 lifts are, but definitely low.
    I'm getting at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, should I do the 'obese trainee' diet described in Practical Programming since I'm technically obese by my body fat percentage? If not, how many calories should I shoot for? 3000 with 40% carbs/40% protein 20% fat?

Thanks
    Alex

What lifting data do you have? An online body fat calculator is a random number generator. What is your waist circumference? I'd go with a 50/25/25 personally and 3k is a good start.

1rm deadlift was 235, 1rm bench was 135 plus those heavy chains (never really PR'ed on bench as a part of the program), 135lb high bar squats for sets of 3 (we only did high bar squats). Waist is about 40".

Are you trolling? Those are not 1RMs. You are under trained. Start training and those will be 15RM or more shortly.

Not trolling. I know I'm under-trained, this program was kind of a convoluted 5/3/1 thing with a bunch of different variations of the lifts, and I stayed on it for about 6 weeks until I realized I could probably move up way faster on the SS linear progression. I'll start shooting for 50% carbs/25% protein/25% fat at 3k. First NLP gym day is Monday. Thanks for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    A lot faster. Get to it