starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General macro and diet advice

Default General macro and diet advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I'm 19, male, 97kg; my Press/Bench/Squat/Deadlift numbers are around 50/85/120/125kg. Don't know exactly what my BF% is, but it's probably above 20 (started off as very skinny and might have bulked too hard). What should my daily caloric intake be (I'm around 3000-4000, although I don't track it rigourously)? Given that, what should my macros be? Is it possible to cram that into 3 meals a day? Cheers

Track rigorously, establish a baseline, compare to my general recommendations in the articles and start there. Numbers aren't bad but either your deadlift is bullshit or you are squatting high.

I'm not squatting high, I posted a form check not too long ago here on the forum and it wasnt deleted. I have an issue with my knees caving in though, so I'll probably have to deload to fix that.
    I tried deadlifting with my hips high and without a 4 inch belt 2 weeks ago and I couldn't pull the numbers I previously could. I'm really paranoid about back rounding so I'm not rushing it. The deadlifts are killing me and I hate them despite being built well for them (187cm and long arms).

Is it possible to eat that much in just 3 meals though? I dont see that being an easy thing. Seems like supplementation would be necessary if you only eat three square meals.

Quote Originally Posted by wojciech View Post
    I'm not squatting high, I posted a form check not too long ago here on the forum and it wasnt deleted. I have an issue with my knees caving in though, so I'll probably have to deload to fix that.
    I tried deadlifting with my hips high and without a 4 inch belt 2 weeks ago and I couldn't pull the numbers I previously could. I'm really paranoid about back rounding so I'm not rushing it. The deadlifts are killing me and I hate them despite being built well for them (187cm and long arms).
    If you are paranoid about your back rounding then video yourself and figure out how to fix it is egregious. Wearing it out with squats and not getting it stronger is not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Is it possible to eat that much in just 3 meals though? I dont see that being an easy thing. Seems like supplementation would be necessary if you only eat three square meals.
    I can eat 2 100g bags of rice and a pound of chicken breast in one sitting, that's about 1600kcal if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If you are paranoid about your back rounding then video yourself and figure out how to fix it is egregious. Wearing it out with squats and not getting it stronger is not a solution.
    I followed the tips from your articles last training and deadlifts seemed easier. I'll try to keep moving forward.
    P.S what are the articles you mentioned I should read in order to assemble a diet for myself? I tried looking through your website and I couldn't find them, cheers

Good. Keep pushing it. I have position papers on this sub forum that have stickies. All of my articles are on my website too.

Okay, so I tracked my calories and protein for almost 3 months now, I ate about 4000kcal and 200-220g of protein/day and I definitely got way too fat. I finally have love handles and my belly is beginning to stick out in front of my chest, so I should probably make some adjustments (weight gain up till this point of about 6lbs per month). How would I go about doing this, is dropping down to 3500kcal enough or perhaps even more?
    From a body recomposition standpoint, the blue book suggests that fatter individuals eat at maintenance, and they will simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle size. Does bulking too hard put me in this category i.e. will it balance itself out if I just drop down in calories? Or will a cut be necessary?

You are not fat, you are undermuscled and not strong enough yet. If you want your mid section to look better than you need to get stronger. If you want to lose fat then you will be exercising and not training.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, that is not an answer I was expecting. How would I know I'm getting too fat though? Surely that's possible to achieve with enough calories, even if training with weights? If 6lbs per month is alright at this bodyweight, when should I scale that down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast