starting strength gym

Thread: Carbs to Energy

Default Carbs to Energy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How long does it take consumed carbs to become usable energy?

I'm an older lifter at 59 and I'm in a situation where I'm back strong enough to be pushing PRs again. Lift after work and on heavy days I sometimes run low on energy. Does eating carbs at noon at lunch make it to energy by 6 in the evening? An how long doe they last?

If so then this leads to what are some good lunch ideas to add more carbs. I currently have a salad with two eggs, chicken, and cheese. I've weighted it out and it's about 800 calories. I'm thinking maybe some soup with instant rice or something like that. Any ideas?

Thank you to all for helping this semi old man to be pushing the boundaries of strength!

The energy boost is cumulative so if you eat low carb half the week and high carb half the week it doesn't work out quite well. You have to eat a reasonable amount every day although being 59 you don't need as much as someone who is 29. What is your total DAILY intake for all days?

I think you have answered my question, but not with the answer I was wanting, hahaha. So the energy effect from carbohydrates is not something measured in a few hours. So the marathoners that "carb up" the night before the race could actually be eating something else and it really wouldn't have mattered.

So it sounds like I need to add more carbs in a smaller amount on all the days. You ask about total DAILY intake, my lunch is the same every day with dinner mostly being protein and fat. One day a week is a cheat day so that I can take my girl out.

Thank you for your gu

It would only matter if they are consistently on a high carb diet. Going from low carb to high carb in a day won't cut it. How many grams of carbs are you eating in a day?

I don't know, I'm not a counter. I just try to eat the right things and keep the caloric total in the range that I need. I use your method of take one out or add one in till I get the effect I want.

Thank you for all your teaching and help!

You are welcome. You don't need to be a counter but you should count every so often when you run into a problem so you can get a baseline. it helps gauge where you are going even if you don't count daily.

I understand. I'm working on creating a life style to carry me forward a few more decades, hahaha. I'll see if I can calculate it.

starting strength coach development program
    Counting is not a permanent fix. It is analogous to training wheels. Use it to self evaluate then learn how to do it less over time. It will be helpful for you.