starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate of weight gain in relation to progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yep that is a good point, I watched a bunch of videos of strong people lifting and concluded you are right. Here, I’ve dropped two new vids with what I hope is closer to SS form on deadlift and squat.
    Bw is now 218.

185 kg deadlift 405 x 5 - YouTube

170kg squat 5 reps - YouTube

Have a look for yourself: tons of awards up on the wall in this gym.

Login • Instagram

Here is a recent one: 185kg for a double

Login • Instagram

Since when do we bounce our deadlifts? You aren't setting your back, you need to take your time before each and every rep and squeeze the back up but also pull the arms as straight as possible. On the squat you are too upright and need to bend over more and also, same thing, stand up between reps, take your air and set your back. You are rushing everything because you don't want to feel the weight of the bar on you. Feeling the weight of the bar on you is part of the ride and you must learn to stabilize your body while you move rather than just move.

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been subject to ever more frequent resets on SS and I failed 380 squat so I switched to the Texas method. This has been the first heavy squat I could show as I had to deload slightly, I’ve heard you shouldn’t hit prs until a month in?

Anyway here is the last deadlift I did on SS and the first heavy squat on the tm.
    I haven’t dropped calories at all I just replaced the calories from milk with solid food.
    Bw is 220lbs now, could you tell me what sort of weight gain rate is appropriate at this stage?

187.5 kg / 413lbs deadlift x5 - YouTube

160kg squat first week of Texas method intensity day - YouTube

I think I’m definitely still not sitting back enough on the squat but is the deadlift more controlled?

starting strength coach development program
    Squat looks like you aren't bending over enough. Deadlift you are gripping and ripping. As soon as you inhale you are yanking the bar. Separate the steps. Inhale, squeeze the chest up to the max, then drag.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123