starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate of weight gain in relation to progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are too deep on that squat. Cut off the depth 2" higher just below parallel. That will move 330 up.
    Thanks I’ll try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    You have a beautiful rack with safety's there, why aren't you squatting inside the rack?
    Because I have to basically stand on the white support bar at the back to unrack it, not very safe. Also the rack is tiny, easy to hit things and mis-groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are too deep on that squat. Cut off the depth 2" higher just below parallel. That will move 330 up.
    Update:

Today I hit 160kg/350lb squat 1 set of five and introduced my first back off sets at 145kg for 5
    I also hit 180kg deadlift for 5 hookgrip in the same workout which was awesome.
    Thanks for the form tip I think my squat is looking better: 160kg squat x5 | 180kg deadlift x5 - YouTube

I basically tried to align with the ideal example guy in PP as much as possible.This means as I am now doing the back off sets, the book also says at this time to do the 1day on 2day off schedule for better recovery.

I now weigh 210lbs so I wondered if I should start cutting my calories back to avoid being 220 in the next five to six weeks. I’m 5,11 so I feel I probs shouldn’t get bigger than 225 on this program.

Thanks for all your help so far, I’m really hoping I might hit 405 for 5 sometime December or January.

Squat - too upright on these. Need to bend over more and sit back. Bar may be a hair high too.

Deadlift - hips are too low and you are not getting the slack out of the bar. Keep your ass high, shoulders over the bar, shins near vertical and SQUEEZE.

I would not cut your calories at this juncture. You are unlikely to get too fat at 220 given how much you are currently lifting. You do need to clean up the technique though. Are you still gaining weight every week?

Squat: still finding the right place, had it way too low on my back for a long time (actually failed 350 first time because of it). Before I had it so low I would feel the weight in my hands instead of my back. As for being too upright, I found it helped my lower back after some guys told me to give a try. Not sure I would have gotten the deadlift if I had leant forward more. I’ll try 355 a bit more leant forward and see which works best.

Deadlift: was told to get my hips lower on this by the main powerlifter at my gym, up until this point ass was higher. I think it was easier with his form though, but I’ll try 400 with yours.

Food: I’m still gaining weight, so I’ll keep it the same and adjust as necessary.

Are you trolling? You do realize that those guys are wrong right?

I've never seen anyone bail the squat forward like the first video. Darwin's gonna get you if you don't get inside the rack.

Hiya,

Well they have a bunch of powerlifting records so I tend to listen to them. A 100kg guy benching four plates for reps is kind of hard to ignore you know? Tbf I don’t think his squat and deadlift is anywhere near as good though like deadlift max 260 or something.

Strong and Hard to Ignore does not make him any less wrong. There are lot of Powerlifters who are Wrong. You can read all about them on this board and Other Places.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman1 View Post
    Hiya,

Well they have a bunch of powerlifting records so I tend to listen to them. A 100kg guy benching four plates for reps is kind of hard to ignore you know? Tbf I don’t think his squat and deadlift is anywhere near as good though like deadlift max 260 or something.
    Just to make sure you are not trolling, why don’t you video this powerlifter benching four plates and show us?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast