starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep apnea and calorie intake

Default Sleep apnea and calorie intake

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had sleep apnea for 3 years(training ease it abit, but still it was a walk through hell experiance cause I felt tired most times and felt I don't have power for anything).
    So I upped my caffeine intake for 3-4 cups of coffee a day, and thought it would make tiredness go away, which it seems just ease, but never stoped it.
    I saw stan's effarding video about apnea and decided to do a sleep study.
    Month ago, I diagnosed with a moderate sleep apnea(23-35 events per hour) and got the glorious cpap that changed my life and took me away from a living hell.
    I sleep like a human again.
    My question is:Now that I sleep normally again, and going back to training after having the dealy covid virus for 14 days, what is the best macros I should hit to ramp up training again(but this time after 3 years I think I will progress faster and will have a more stable recovery)?
    I am 117kg BW, don't want to do any cut for now, because when i was cutting from 122kg to 117 6 month ago, with apnea it was a pain in the ass to go throught so for now I want to get stonger again.
    I moved to a 4 day split becasue of time constraints and in a mircleous way, was able to get my deadlift before covid hit hard to 182.5 kg for 3x2.
    I was eating 3200 calories prior the covid shit. Should i go up to 3600-3800 and stay there as my training progresses?

Glad you got that sorted. CPAP works wonders when you need one. What is your height, weight, and age?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Glad you got that sorted. CPAP works wonders when you need one. What is your height, weight, and age?
    I am 23 years old(I felt like an 50+ years old dude for allmost 3 years- no kidding), I am weighing 117kg of BW(little belly pot, not a huge one) and my height is 176cm.

Calorie level sounds like a good start. Expect to go higher as the load gets heavier.

I hope I’m not derailing this but I’ve gained 20kg in four months and my snoring has become correspondingly unbearable according to my partner. Could this be a symptom of sleep apnea? Does anyone have any tips for snoring? Otherwise I’m gonna have to drop weight the moment I hit my 180kg x5 squat goal.

Maybe, maybe not. Have you had a sleep study done?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman1 View Post
    I hope I’m not derailing this but I’ve gained 20kg in four months and my snoring has become correspondingly unbearable according to my partner. Could this be a symptom of sleep apnea?
    This was certainly the case for me. Wife was having low quality sleep and wearing earplugs. I didn't know how bad my sleep was until after a few days with the CPAP. Night and day different. I was 5'8" @ 250lbs then, I've put on bodyfat since (at its worst I was 285lbs) and the CPAP didn't seem to work as well. Dr. said losing fat would help and might even eliminate the CPAP if I got down to 200lbs.

Do you "wake yourself up snoring"? As in a bit of a jolt awake? In hindsight that was the most telltale symptom for me. Never happens if I wear the CPAP, but still happens if I fall asleep on the couch. Other symptoms included extreme fatigue after meals, couldn't function after dinner without a nap. Every little bump in the night would wake me up. Now I can sleep through neighbor dogs and fire truck sirens.

Get a sleep study done. Only real way to know.

Thanks for sharing your experience that makes sense.

That was the first thing I applied for but the date hasn’t been confirmed. Unfortunately due to covid, health services are stretched thin here in the U.K. I’ve been waiting so long that my hand is being forced. Im going to have to start losing weight early, lord knows what that will do to my strength.
    Im at the point now in SS where I’m stalling more frequently and I may be better served moving to TM. But I doubt I can cut on that program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman1 View Post
    But I doubt I can cut on that program.
    You absolutely cannot cut on that program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast