Thread: Rate of weight gain in relation to progress

Default Rate of weight gain in relation to progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My stats:
    H 5,11
    W 195

Hello, my question concerns what I should aim for as a good rate of weight gain for SS in relation to the various changes in programming.
    To be specific when I can no longer make five pound jumps on my squat and introduce a light day on Wednesday would this be a good time to reduce my caloric intake a bit, as is implied in the nutrition advice in the books? If so by how much?

My progression in the last two months has been from a 100kg / 225lb squat to a 147.5kg / 325lb squat for 3 sets of 5. In that time I went from a body weight of 176 to 195. Most of that weight gain has been in the last month I gained about 8kg or 17.6 lbs very quickly, in the last week or so a kilo every four days or so.
    My caloric intake has been just over 4000 and I should point out that I have squatted up to 308lbs for 3x5 prior to doing this program (I’m just coming back to lifting after a year or more off).

I’m case you need info on my other lifts I’m currently at 155kg for 5 deadlift (previous best 180kg for 9), 80kg bench for 3x5 (previously 90 for 7) and 56 kg on the press 3x5 (previously 60kg 3x5). Bench has been limited by a squat error that messed up my arm but is coming up it is now corrected. I’m giving you this info in case the extra muscle memory I still have factors into this rate of weight gain equation.

Sorry if too much info but most posts seem to have too little.

I’d keep the calories high for now and scale then back to maintenance levels once you break 200 and hit PRs. Your squat is currently the only lift there now. You have a lot of room on the bar on the others so get them up to lifetime PR status and allow a little more gain. Are you chinning too?

Thanks, I am tho chins are slowly decreasing tho not by much, I started out getting like 14 10 8.5 now after adding like 8 kilos of bw it’s like 12, 10, 8. I guess my best pr on that is weighing like 100kg with 20kg hanging off me and getting 6 or 7 reps.
    I definitely need to eat more though I failed my first squat set of the workout today so you must be right.
    150kg 4 reps failed fifth - YouTube

Those squats look painful. Knees valgus is out of control, you are too deep and you lose back tightness with each rep. Fight those knees out harder and keep the back pressed tightly against the bar the entire way up. That and eat more, a lot more

Thanks for the tips, I unracked it really awkwardly which sort of screwed up the whole set. I did two lighter sets (120kg) after this and moved my hands in a lot and that helped my back tightness. And yes I have a terrible tendency of letting my knees cave in, will work on it. Will up my carbs thanks.

Every exercise is a back exercise so cue yourself to set your back on everything. Even when you are picking shit up day to day. Reinforce these movements every opportunity you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Every exercise is a back exercise so cue yourself to set your back on everything. Even when you are picking shit up day to day. Reinforce these movements every opportunity you get.
    Robert gave me this exact same advice last week when I was working on my squats at his gym. Made me realize that while I was bracing with a decent Valsalva, I was not bracing with my lower back in its correct normal extended position, but rather over-extending. Keep that in mind when you're setting up.

Thank you both I’ve been incorporating these suggestions and I got the 150kg squat the next session, but only for the one set of 5, next set I could only manage 3.
    I’ve kept up the eating and increased my calories to like 4.3/4.5k. I’m now up to 199/200lbs, could be still be the issue? Deadlift is still going up nicely, bench is getting there very slowly as I overcome this arm issue, and ohp is progressing decently. Chins are starting to flag though perhaps because I’ve gained like 4lbs in six days.

With the squat I am thinking I will have to move to the 1 set of five and two back off sets, but in PP’s examples the trainee is doing this between 360/380lbs squat range and I’m still down at 330. Am I artificially limiting myself here?

Here is my form from my Wednesday light workout: Light day 120kg 5 reps side and front - YouTube

You are too deep on that squat. Cut off the depth 2" higher just below parallel. That will move 330 up.

starting strength coach development program
    You have a beautiful rack with safety's there, why aren't you squatting inside the rack?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast