starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start in caloric intake if both high BF% and weak?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Robert for the help.

I decided to run a fresh batch of NLP properly with your advice and have been able to increase my lifts to the following numbers:

Squat - start: 135lb -> previous best 170lb -> Now: 200lb

Bench - start: 135lb -> previous best 170lb -> Now: 180lb

Deadlift - start: 135lb- > previous best 220lb -> Now: 220lb

Press - start: 70lb -> previous best: 100lb -> Now: 110lb

I am progressing on the Squat and deadlift with 5lb jumps, Press/Bench - I feel a wall coming up so may move to 2.5lb plates to wring out any further gains.

I'm aware the deadlift needs to go up quickly with good form as per reading articles and forums on the board should be ahead of my squat - I was focusing on fixing form issues.

I've bumped up my calories to between 2700 ~ 2900 - focusing on high protein (200g minimum protein per day, 300g + carbs and low fat ensuring < 100g a day) - sticking to a solid nutrition plan has been very easy when eating more!

I have two questions which I hope you can better advise me on, earlier you mentioned that:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Most males fall within the 2500-3500 range, with the lower end on early LP and lower end on mid-to-late LP. More than this has value but you may gain a little more fat and that's fine if you don't have a psychological problem with it. The metabolic furnaces have to go upwards to 5k. Lots of variability but what I do know is sub 2500 does not end well for most, if not all, male lifters.
    Question 1:

In order to keep progressing and get those lifts up, should I:

1. Increase calories marginally to meet demands of lifting when missed reps/increases stall.
    2. Deload the weight (assuming missed reps)
    3. Both
    4. Do nothing and keep NLP'ing my way through it.

Question 2:

My weight has increased, but nothing substantial - I'm at 200lb - whilst continuing on my NLP journey, should I:

1. See weight increases
    2. See weight decreases
    3. weight staying the same

Assume in all 3 scenarios that NLP is still progressing - my only cause for concern is my bodyfat%, unless It's nothing to worry about as weight gained = mass (muscle, water, fat, etc)

Any help is appreciated in advance!

starting strength coach development program
    You are making timid jumps and probably think it's heavier than it actually is. You need to keep eating, adding weight on the bar, and consider hiring a coach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12