starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusually heavy people

Default Unusually heavy people

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weird question, but in your experience dealing with people trying to lose weight, have you ever encountered anyone who weighed a good deal more than their size would suggest?

Yes. I have a member like this that joined the gym recently as a matter of fact. He is 318 and everyone guesses 240-260.

Any idea where the hell this comes from? Based on my lifts, I don't think it's a big excess of muscle mass.

Maybe you are undertrained or maybe you just have an even distribution of body fat.

I gain weight in my thighs and butt, Which can make me appear lighter... or so my mind will tell me.

Undertrained? How's that work? I've followed the programming as far as amount of training and gotten my lifts up considerably from what I started with. And for my first shaky LP, those start weights were probably too high because I was so eager to start that I missed the part of the book that basically says to start more conservatively. That doesn't seem like it either. I can't imagine I have THAT MUCH fat on my body. When I dieted down to the point of looking ridiculously skinny before I got into this stuff and began my first LP I was 235 at the lowest. Mind you I'm 6'2", tall but not extremely so.

How old are you? How much did you weigh at the end of your LP? How many grams of carbohydrates were you consuming? How fast did you progress your deadlift in the beginning? We are trained to disregard self reported data until we verify and I can't tell you how much beautifully organized self reported excel spreadsheets I've received only to learn the guy had been squatting 8" high and deadlifting like complete dog shit.

37 years old. First time I LPed I think I ended in the 270-280 range. The second time was the good one though, I really went for it with the eating on that one, but also turned to sugary shit to bolster my carb consumption even further. Got up to 310 at the end. I think I looked a little chunky at that point, but people never called me fat, instead they thought I looked like a football lineman. I always progress my deadlift hard. It actually blows away my other lifts, and I've been complimented on my deadlift form. I suspect a lot of this disparity is anthropometry-based. I've got long as fuck limbs and a short torso. I've done 405 for a set of 5. I definitely do not squat high. Both lifts have been looked at in person by SSCs.

Well what the hell do you weigh now then? Those aren't terrible numbers to end a LP at for a long ass limbed dude but what the hell was your carb intake like? Glad you don't fuck around with your deadlift, I appreciate this. Most capable males can LP to the upper 3s lower 4s but don't because of bullshit. I am not following the problem here. You weigh a lot but look like you don't. How is this a bad thing? My guess is you are lifting more than you finished your LP at now. So you should also have more muscle mass.

starting strength coach development program
    405x5 wasn't from an LP, I was well into weekly programming by that point. Right now I'm 275 or so as of my last weekly weigh in, 290 was what I weighed when I did the 405. I'm just trying to solve the mystery of where this strange chunk of bodyweight comes from, if I'm fatter than I realize and I can stand to lose more, or if I am just gonna have to live with the fact that it's gonna be a lot fucking harder for me to hit those bodyweight benchmarks everyone loves to evaluate everyone else by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast