starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine and Blood Pressure

Default Creatine and Blood Pressure

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I am a 19-year-old male 6' 1" and 210 lbs and I have been taking creatine for about 7 months now. Until recently, I took my blood pressure at home just because we have a machine and I was curious, and I have been averaging about 140/73 for the last 5 days. I am a soccer player and have been lifting for almost 2 years. My question is, does creatine have any affect on blood pressure? My mom who is a nurse, thinks that because of the excess fluid I hold in my body is what is causing my blood pressure to be high. I do have a familial history of high blood pressure on my Dads side, but in August when I had a physical, my blood pressure was very healthy with it being something like 115/75 or around that.

It pulls a little more fluid up into your cells after it is actively taken up, it's not a blood volume situation to even shift things acutely. It's not something that is associated with eating a little extra creatine intentionally on top of the normal intake and normal production in your body.

Blood pressure varies widely because of all sorts of very ordinary and common things throughout a day and over days.

Blood pressure will read high if the cuff is too small.

It is almost never taken correctly at offices/clinics and there's a good chance you're doing it wrong at home and/or the machine is not calibrated.

Chill.

Yes what Stef said especially her last word. What I'll add is that measurement methods and time of day influence it more than anything. BP is typically highest in the morning and dips in the evening in healthy adults. You must have good posture, feet flat on the floor, legs uncrossed, elbow fully extended when measuring. Don't look at the monitor and eliminate distractions.

Thank you for your responses, sometimes it is a bit hard to chill during finals as a biochem major, but I have been seeing a drop in the systolic rate over the past week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Conroy View Post
    Thank you for your responses, sometimes it is a bit hard to chill during finals as a biochem major, but I have been seeing a drop in the systolic rate over the past week or two.
    Good luck on your finals. Consider learning ways to strengthen your stress management skills. Life will continue to throw shit at you and how you manage it largely determines your quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Conroy View Post
    The trick is to remind yourself that they don't actually own you even though it may seem to be the case.

starting strength coach development program
    I am in my 40s, with hereditary high blood pressure. Creatine didn't make my blood pressure any higher, but stress often did. And yeah, BP varies a lot throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about your situation.

If you have a family history of anxiety, by the way, getting medicated for it lowers your BP. At least it did for me when I didn't worry about everything all the time!