starting strength gym

Thread: Nausea during training

Default Nausea during training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    6'2, 240. Almost 1/2/3/4 lifts.
    For as long as I can remember, my workouts have been riddled with more or less severe cases of nausea, but recently this has been getting worse.
    The feeling I experience is usually a general "weakness", urge to vomit (never vomited at the gym though), dizziness and sometimes light-headedness.
    I've experimented with a multitude of meals before my workout. I usually train around mid-day, so I just eat my breakfast (600-1000kcal). No meal at all, a normal scrambled eggs/cheese sandwiches or a carb-heavy oatmeal with honey breakfast; no pause between the meal and workout, 1-2 hour pause - no combination seems to work, I almost always get real nauseated the first hour in the gym.
    I think most of the time the feeling goes away in the second half of the workout. I supplement with creatine, vit D3, C and a multi.
    I'm kind of lost as to what to do. I'm even considering the option of this being some involuntary psychological reflex because of how I dread squats (always done in the first half of a workout). Is there anything else I could try?

Try micronized creatine monhydrate. GI distress is a known side effect of creatine. Micronized tends to be tolerated better in people who have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Try micronized creatine monhydrate. GI distress is a known side effect of creatine. Micronized tends to be tolerated better in people who have this issue.
    That's interesting. Since I usually supplement in the morning/midday, a couple hours before training, would waiting with creatine until evening help out, or is this effect chronic? I'll buy some micronized creatine once I'm done with the one I already have.

Try it out see what happens. Had a female lifter that swore off creatine due to nausea until I let her beta test some of the Legion Recharge that I had laying around the gym. Took it for a few days, no complaints, now uses it regularly.