starting strength gym

Thread: Age / weight / height chart?

Default Age / weight / height chart?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Doc,

As a masters rank amateur who has weighed the same for 30 years regardless of diet, I'm on board with Rip's 3rd question, and gaining weight to gain strength as per LPM. So I've looked through the forum here, finding a lot of inquiries particular to the individual, although I have yet to find one that matches me (otherwise healthy 54, male, 5'9", 160 +/- 2lbs.) Is there a chart somewhere to find a target weight based on height and age?

I'm paying closer attention to calories and protein content, but generally I can eat like a Midwestern bear, i.e., plenty of meat/fish and everything else edible plus plenty of beer, and not vary weight. I'm adding multiple bottles of Fairlife Whole Milk to the diet though.

How strong are you? There is no chart because it would be bullshit if there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How strong are you? There is no chart because it would be bullshit if there was one.
    Not strong at all. Max 3x5 deads was 215 before my Chinese flu break. Squat was 170. Bench and press are too low to publish. I just restarted "the program." Looking for a target body weight.

It's a start. Start with 180, see how far you can go, and then think about 190-200 if the weight on the bar justifies it, which it should if you play your cards right. You are still young enough to make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Not strong at all. Max 3x5 deads was 215 before my Chinese flu break. Squat was 170. Bench and press are too low to publish. I just restarted "the program." Looking for a target body weight.
    Make sure you do the program correctly. 3x5 deads are not in the program.

They most certainly aren't unless Drewski is a female.

Thanks - the meat / milk / egg part of the diet has been bumped up a lot recently; dinner especially is becoming more of a marathon. Reminds me of dinner in Italy, in terms of time at the table anyway. Hopefully 180 isn't too far away. I've varied amazingly little from 160 regardless of diet for a long time.

And sorry for the mistype - that should say 1x5 on deads and 3x5 on squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the clarification. If you are a hard gainer then eating will feel like a marathon. Part of the ride. Get used to chewing and use a weight gainer if necessary. Liquid calories are your friend and that doesn't mean a night at the tavern as fun as that may be.