starting strength gym

Thread: Restarting LP detrained and a bit too fluffy

Default Restarting LP detrained and a bit too fluffy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,

36/m, 5-8, 183lb, 27.8 BMI, 36.5" waist (measured just under belly button), Neck 16", Arms flexed just about 16".

Previously ran LP then switched to 4 day TM a bit too early and I feel I didnt milk the process as much as I should have. Ended with 355x5 Squat, 405x5 Deadlift, 200x5 Bench, 165x5 Press.

Bulked like an asshole up to almost 190 and did some other stupid hypertrophy program. Realized I was getting fat and not muscular. Dropped 5 lbs in the past 10 days.

Strength is down quite a bit from de-training, restarting LP. Plan to milk it this time for as long as possible. Ultimate goal is to get as big and strong as I can.

Do I continue in a caloric deficit while I regain some strength and continue to lean out more then increase calories or just follow standard LP recommendations from here? Thanks for your time.

If you are going to lose fat then you will inevitably be exercising, not training. You have to pick one or the other at this point, you aren't an obese novice and your body composition is actually favorable to building more strength. How about getting stronger and letting yourself fill out? I am 5'9" and let my waistline hang at 35.5-36" for a couple years and at some point you look less fat and more muscular if you give it enough time. Squat 405 x 5 and pull 455 x 5 for starters.

You want a 225 bench for an easy thee sets of five before you start meddling with fat loss.

When coming back from a layoff I find that as I work back up to my previous maximums, I don't necessarily need to eat like a novice (i.e. a lot). I suggest you train for awhile without modifying your eating, see how you look and feel, and then decide whether you want to eat more and keep getting stronger or cut. I.e. train until your strength gains start to slow down. That may cause some improvement in your body comp and proportions on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if at that point you decide to eat more to fuel more growth rather than cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    When coming back from a layoff I find that as I work back up to my previous maximums, I don't necessarily need to eat like a novice (i.e. a lot). I suggest you train for awhile without modifying your eating, see how you look and feel, and then decide whether you want to eat more and keep getting stronger or cut. I.e. train until your strength gains start to slow down. That may cause some improvement in your body comp and proportions on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if at that point you decide to eat more to fuel more growth rather than cutting.
    I would agree with this. Calorie needs follow intensity as you become more advanced.