starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seasoning/flavoring monster mash

Default seasoning/flavoring monster mash

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When I want to cook something easy, I make a version of monster mash: steam rice and sweet potatoes together in rice cooker, fry some grass-fed ground beef, mix together with bone broth. I usually season it with garlic and mild chili powder. Anyone have any suggestions for alternative seasonings or other ways to make this tasty (and have some variety)? Maybe add onions?

Make the beef and some onions or bell peppers in a cast iron skillet. Adds an additional layer of flavor.

Cumin, Paprika Dried thyme and whole bay leaves if you don't mind fishing them out after. I assume you also do salt and pepper but if not I would

Salsa?
    My go-to quick & easy meal is pre-cooked rice or potatoes, frozen veggies, pre-cooked meat (usually chicken) —- heat it in the microwave and top it with some sort of salsa. There are a wide variety of salsas available nowadays.

Simon and Garfunkel combo is always pretty good: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

After you cook your beef, in which fry some onion and a garlic clove or two, stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste. Let it toast on the bottom of the pot and then mix with the beef. Let it coat the beef and cook down until almost completely dry. Toss in some bourbon or wine or any good strong booze, scrape up the bits on the bottom, and then cook down until almost dry. Actually, get some dried mushrooms, e.g., shiitake, porcini, etc., reconstitute them in hot water and throw them in chopped up, water and all, here instead of the booze. At this point, add your broth and simmer to finish as you would normally.

This tomato paste trick is what I call "Italian roux." It adds body without resorting to using flour because of the natural sugar while contributing umami from the severely reduced tomato. You're not making tomato sauce; you're just using a technique to help your beef along.

Spicy Pico (with diced jalapaño mixed int) adds a nice touch.

With so many good ideas here, I'm glad I've wrapped up a recent cut...

For spices, I've had good results from learning how to cook a representative slice of different Indian foods. There are a broad scope of regional variations, using different spices in different ways. Frying spices in oil that's used for cooking, toasting spices before grinding, different ratios of common spices...you can rotate through a surprising set of flavors over time. And the techniques are useful for non-Indian styles, too, e.g. toasting spices before grinding, "blooming" them in hot oil first, et al. For general Indian flavor, making/buying garlic/ginger paste and frying that + powdered cumin + powdered coriander with your meat is a good start.

Another thought that comes to mind would be to stage some of your stock by cooking it with different spices. A steel tea ball with pho spices like star anise, black cardamom, fennel seed, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and cloves, simmered for about 15-20 minutes gives a nice, warm flavor...again, if you're a fan of the cuisine...

Indian food is excellent, especially Northern Indian Food. Making it low fat is a creative undertaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast