starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories and Fat

Default Calories and Fat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Dr Santana, I'm hoping you can shed some light into my diet!

Height: 5'8 Current Number since I started in January 2022:
    Weight: 190lbs Squat: 3x5 210lbs (+100lbs since start)
    Sex: Male Deadlift: 1x5 275lbs (+75lbs since start, I used to deadlift before)
    Naval cirm. measurement: 40" Bench: 3x5 130lbs (I just don't like benching and skipped it quite a few times)

Body Fat estimated from a few different
    calculators and pictures: 25-27%
    (can't pinch skin anywhere for callipers, skin too tough/thick?)

I'm currently trying (and I do say trying) to eat 3,000 calories every day.
    The macro split I have roughly is: Protein 230-250g
    Carbs 250g
    Fat 60-80g

I take 5g of creatine and also make use of protein powder. Food wise im quite simple and meal prep basic rice/pasta/potato + chicken breast/thighs, plus some kind of sauce like BBQ or Ketchup.

Think i've gained around 10lbs trying to eat enough food to do the NLP.

So obviously I have a good amount of fat on me (mainly belly). What and how much should i be eating to keep progressing on the NLP and reigning in or at least not increasing the body fat %?

Much Appreciated!

Vick

Well you need to bench press for one. Second, I would cut that protein down to 200 grams per day and up the carbs to 300 grams per day, while aiming for 40 grams of fiber per day.

Thank you for the reply coach. I somehow failed getting past 145lbs a few times so got demotivated but I will keep working it!

I will make those changes right away, and are 3,000 calories enough for me with the program or should I up/lower them?

That's because you need eat more. So yes 3000 and then more if necessary.

Ok coach I will do! Just a last question, as I'm already high body fat, should I not be worried about having it go up with eating more calories? Or is it one of those the fat levels will reduce as I increase my lean mass situations? Thanks in advance!

If your lifts are difficult to complete and you are adding more calories it is unlikely you are going to gain fat weight because the nutrients will be used to fuel the workouts and facilitate recovery. I can't see a 190 lb male getting fat on 3000 calories unless he is a couch potato, not lifting heavy enough, or not eating 3000 calories Monday-Friday and 6000 calories on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes, the lifts are very much struggling at the moment, I will take all that on board and get to it asap, thank you coach!

Coach I just thought of a question; so how many calories would you advice someone of my weight and bf% to be able to continue doing the program as intended and facilitate strength increase but without increasing the body fat levels? (i understand you gain muscle AND fat together of-course) And how would the macros look like for that?

I'm hitting a wall with my lifts at mediocre numbers, even though I work very hard in the gym and grind through each rep

Likely more than you are eating now. Where are your macros falling?

starting strength coach development program
    With your previous advice on my 3,000 cal intake I'm doing 200g protein, 300g carb and 100g fat, although fats end up closer to 70-80g to be honest

I'm just not sure how much and with what macro split to eat
    The program says that overweight/high body fat trainees should be gaining strength while their fat levels drop, otherwise YNDTP, well plus I'd rather not get more fat as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast