starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protein Powder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the price has skyrocketed? I buy an 11lb bag from MyProtein (England) and its usually 70. I just looked today it was 220! outrage

Robert, what is a good plan for economical consumption of protein powder?

Thanks
    If you’re in the UK get a Revolut account and download their chrome plugin. It automatically tries every discount code it can find. I got about £80 off my order last time. Works for all online shopping too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Quest chips are pretty good too. I'm a big fan when I'm in a pinch.
    I saw those but the price is fairly steep. I've been using the Whips brand cheese snacks as a morning snack without breaking the calorie budget but adding some protein.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKeegan View Post
    Cool! I've never thought about it, thanks
    Erin,
    The Voltrx electric mixer bottle is the best I've found and it USB rechargeable when it runs down.
    Amazon.com

I bought a bunch of these 4oz containers that will hold one scoop of protein powder.
    Amazon.com

So every morning I load two containers of powder, on flavored and the other unflavored and the bottle with 12 oz of clean water (our water is terrible.) I use that ratio mix to make it about the same thickness as the ready to drink versions, plus i get twice the protein content.

For me, if I get it in the refrigerator by lunch time, it's cold enough by 400 for a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the price has skyrocketed? I buy an 11lb bag from MyProtein (England) and its usually 70. I just looked today it was 220! outrage

Robert, what is a good plan for economical consumption of protein powder?

Thanks
    I've noticed this too. I've stopped using protein powder all together now and switched to Aldi's 20% fat mince (ground beef). It's £3.87 a kilogram. I salt it at 15 grams per kg and rest it in the fridge overnight. I'm finding that cooking in the air-fryer as 225 gram (~ 1/4 pound) burger patties, each one having about 20 grams of protein, and taking them to work with me is just as convenient as protein shakes.

The air-fryer allows me to shower while they are being cooked, and the salt makes the texture better and at £3.87 it works out whey (pun) cheaper than protein powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Glad that worked. Legion and Optimum isolate are my go to powders.
    Clearly my knowledge of protein powder is limited. I imagine that much of what follows in this post can be condemned as "bro-science," but I plead ignorance...I promise I am committed to SS and would love to be educated.

I have been using Muscle Milk's "Pro Series" since April. What is wrong with that? It boasts 50g of protein per serving. Is it the fact that it uses a whey-casein blend as opposed to pure whey?

In contrast to the Optimum Isolate, is "Gold Standard Whey" acceptable? I'm a college student trying not to break the bank and Legion is too pricey for me (and has half the protein content of Muscle Milk...?)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    I'm a college student trying not to break the bank and Legion is too pricey for me (and has half the protein content of Muscle Milk...?)
    I was a starving college student. I'm now a very cheap employed man. Are you in the US? I buy unflavored whey protein powder in bulk from eBay seller galaxy999.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12