starting strength gym

Thread: Sacred Cow: The Case for (Better) Meat

Default Sacred Cow: The Case for (Better) Meat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thought I'd introduce this book to the forum for anyone who would like to read and comment on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKYFGBJ/

Amazon's synopsis:
    We're told that if we care about our "health or our planet” eliminating red meat from our diets is crucial. That beef is bad for us and cattle farming is horrible for the environment. But science says otherwise.

Beef is framed as the most environmentally destructive and least healthy of meats. We're often told that the only solution is to reduce or quit red meat entirely. But despite what anti-meat groups, vegan celebrities, and some health experts say, plant-based agriculture is far from a perfect solution. In Sacred Cow, registered dietitian Diana Rodgers and former research biochemist and New York Times bestselling author Robb Wolf explore the quandaries we face in raising and eating animalsfocusing on the largest (and most maligned) of farmed animals, the cow.

Taking a critical look at the assumptions and misinformation about meat, Sacred Cow points out the flaws in our current food system and in the proposed "solutions." Inside, Rodgers and Wolf reveal contrarian but science-based findings, such as:

Meat and animal fat are essential for our bodies.
    A sustainable food system cannot exist without animals.
    A vegan diet may destroy more life than sustainable cattle farming.
    Regenerative cattle ranching is one of our best tools at mitigating climate change.

You'll also find practical guidance on how to support sustainable farms and a 30-day challenge to help you transition to a healthful and conscientious diet. With scientific rigor, deep compassion, and wit, Rodgers and Wolf argue unequivocally that meat (done right) should have a place on the table.

It's not the cow, it's the how!

----
    The book has some interesting perspectives on the various food types including the, all important, cholesterol is not related to the food you eat bit.

I found the chapter on the moral and ethical case for eating meat to be really compelling and well written.

Another thing I found interesting is the discussion on antinutrients, i.e. foods that interfere with nutrient absorption. These can be certain vegetables, tannins, chocolate and also milk (which interferes with iron absorption).

Looking forward to comments with respect to training and recovery. Thanks.

Haven't read it. A basic nutrition book will tell you that fiber, tannins, and calcium interferes with nutrient absorption and that can be avoided by timing when you eat certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Haven't read it. A basic nutrition book will tell you that fiber, tannins, and calcium interferes with nutrient absorption and that can be avoided by timing when you eat certain things.
    Thanks. That's good to know. May I know how much time after a meal would you wait before having a cup of coffee or tea?

Here is a talk given by Diana Rodgers which I found summarizes a lot of the book. Though the presentation tends towards being a bit dry, I found the Q&A quite interesting.
    Sacred Cow : The Nutritional, Environmental, and Ethical Case for Better Meat - YouTube